above ground molting

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
dolly0401

above ground molting

Post by dolly0401 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 am

I had recently posted about my hermit crab having a bad molt and missing three legs on one side. He's still going strong in his quarantine tank and I was wondering how to notice when he will do a surface molt. He isn't strong enough to dig down and he's been able to eat the food and honey a put on q-tips. I normally have to prop him up so that he can eat. I just don't want to disturb him moving him to his food when he wants to start his molt. Any suggestions?

Topic author
dolly0401

Re: above ground molting

Post by dolly0401 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:03 am

So it's been two months since my hermie lost the three legs on his one side. I'm surprised that he's strong enough to start digging in the iso tank he's in. I was able to see three good sized leg buds growing. I'm trying to guess when he will start molting since he still needs to be moved to his food and water in order to eat. Does anyone know how to estimate when he might molt? His leg buds are about 1/8 inch long and he's looking quite ashy. I just want to make sure I don't disturb him since I bring him to his food and then set him back in the hole he's made and cover it with coconut fiber.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:29 pm

It sounds like you are doing a great job!! Are you providing him with powdered calcium to eat? Make sure you do lots of protein, and also try extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil (the fat is necessary for molting). :)

I've never been in this situation before, but perhaps try contacting Wodesorel by PMing her. She has. :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
dolly0401

Post by dolly0401 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 am

Thank you. Yes, I am providing him powdered calcium. I will give the olive and coconut oils a try. This is the first time something like this has happened to me too. I just want to make sure after two months, I won't stress him when he's about to molt. I've gotten him this far, I want to see him make it through. :-)

Topic author
dolly0401

Post by dolly0401 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 am

I must have perfect timing! I just went to mist his iso tank and peaking in on him. He's molting. His exo is laying outside his shell. Covered him up so that he has a nice dark place to rest and build up his energy.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 pm

dolly0401 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 am
I must have perfect timing! I just went to mist his iso tank and peaking in on him. He's molting. His exo is laying outside his shell. Covered him up so that he has a nice dark place to rest and build up his energy.
yay!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
dolly0401

Post by dolly0401 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:27 am

So it's been two weeks since my hermie shed his exo. He's been hanging out in the hole that he dug and I've been keeping his iso tank in a dark spot and misting it. I took the lid off the iso yesterday to get a better look and he's eaten all of the old exo. It also looks like his three missing limbs regenerated nicely. I expected them to be little stubby things but they are actually a decent size. I'd like to get him moved back into the tank with the rest of my hermie but was wondering when I should do this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:19 am

I wouldn't be in any hurry to put him back with the others. I'd give him another week or two - hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in too!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers