New Hermit Crab Owner: Destressing or Molting?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
cmatherly

New Hermit Crab Owner: Destressing or Molting?

Post by cmatherly » Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 pm

So a friend of my daughter’s called and asked if we wanted a hermit crab she won at a Festival; not knowing quite what we were getting into, we accepted. After some research, I feel like we were able to put him in a decent crabitat the weekend we adopted him- a 10 gallon tank, 6” of coco fiber, hydrometer to measure the temperature and humidity, two water bowls (one for fresh dechlorinated water and the other for salt water) with carrots and spinach for food. However, not even a day after adopting him and putting him in his new home, he disappeared in the substrate! I thought he might be molting but about 5 days later he reappeared laying in his water dish. He’d disappear again that same day, only to reappear in his water dish again. It’s been like this every few days. He is really shy and freezes and hides in his shell instantly. I ordered a hideout, climbing material and organic food from Etsy which came in this week to add to his crabitat. I have one shell out for him right now and plan to add more of different sizes. Could he be in the process of molting, or is he just de stressing? From what I can tell, he seems really lethargic and dull in color. Any advice is helpful. After all the reading I’ve been doing I just want to make sure I give him the happiest crab life possible. Side note: Although I know they are social creatures, I really don’t plan on getting any more crabs.

doth

Re: New Hermit Crab Owner: Destressing or Molting?

Post by doth » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

it sounds like he is destressing now but I wouldn't be surprised if he molts soon. He may not have been able to molt in his previous situation so he may be 'overdue' for a molt. make sure to offer him nutritious foods & don't be surprised if he "disappears" for awhile. :)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
cmatherly

Post by cmatherly » Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Thank you so much! I ordered two organic mixes from The Healthy Hermit on Etsy. The Island Getaway, which contains organic red passionflower, organic coconut, organic hemp seeds and two different types of shrimp. And a Lost At Sea mix, which contains organic dulse flakes, plankton, ocean whitefish, organic kelp / kombu and organic coconut flakes. Both mixtures are in his bowl now. I also have a small Coral piece ordered from the same shop as well in there.

I hope our little shy guy starts to ‘come out of his shell’ soon 😉.

doth

Post by doth » Wed May 15, 2019 1:46 pm

lucky crab, those foods sound awesome!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk