Heating Problem

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Wysper

Heating Problem

Post by Wysper » Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am

I'm relatively new to hermit crabs, but not new to tanks and exotic pets in general. I currently have a 60g set up with 5:1 Sand/EE substrate, 7-8" deep. A Reptile Basics heater on the back, above the substrate (the 11"x48"), there is about 2-3" between the top of the sub and the bottom of the heater. I also have 2 reptitherms on either side of the tank. My issue is the heat has been dropping recently at night, as low as 65 degrees! With all 3 heaters operating.

Any suggestions please??

3dogs4eyes

Re: Heating Problem

Post by 3dogs4eyes » Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Do you have your tank insulated at all? I was having the same issue. I got the rolled foil back insulation from the Hardware store and insulated the back and one side of my tank down to the sand line. It has helped immensely! I also made an insulating pad out of it to put on top of the tank on cooler nights. That may definitely help!
Last edited by 3dogs4eyes on Wed May 15, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to 2 kids, 3 dogs, and 3 PP crabbies.

3dogs4eyes

Post by 3dogs4eyes » Wed May 15, 2019 12:34 pm

This is what I got for reference: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-i ... on/3228226

I doubled it on itself and duct taped the edges to put foil on both sides, then taped it to my tank.
Mom to 2 kids, 3 dogs, and 3 PP crabbies.

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm

As a bit of a precaution for the moment, keep some blankets on top of it.
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Topic author
Wysper

Post by Wysper » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 pm

I don't currently have it insulated, but was planning on putting some on the back after payday. (the downfall of monthly paychecks lol). Right now I thought the 2 heaters on both sides would help out, but I guess they just aren't enough. I will put some blankets on top as well, hopefully that will help! And can make a topper to go over the whole top with an insulation on it later down the road.

Thank you. I thought the issue was just me! lol

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 pm

A cheaper alternative that has been working for me (and other crabbers) is taking a layer of cardboard and wrapping it in tinfoil! You can do multiple layers of cardboard but just one works for me. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/