Can I put vampire crabs with my hermits?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Chocobo

Can I put vampire crabs with my hermits?

Post by Chocobo » Thu May 23, 2019 3:40 pm

From what I've learned, vampire crabs are roughly the same size as medium hermit crabs and require similar care like all crabs. Would it be a good idea to get a couple and put them with my hermit crabs? Idk how aggressive they are. I have 6 medium sized hermits in a 50 gallon tank. Also sorry about not putting this in miscellaneous. I tried looking for it but only found it just now
Last edited by Chocobo on Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can I put vampire crabs with my hermits?

Post by curlysister » Thu May 23, 2019 4:29 pm

I do not think so. From my understanding, vampire crabs are freshwater crabs, while hermit crabs are land crabs. From looking online, the tank set up looks quite different than hermit crabitats.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 pm

No. I wouldnt suggest it. While much of their care requirements are similar, their habitat needed are very different. Vampires do well in a paludarium in comparison to hermies.

Perhaps in a larger tank where you could create zones suitable to both species... but in a well stocked 50g, I'd pass and keep them seperate.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:30 pm
No. I wouldnt suggest it. While much of their care requirements are similar, their habitat needed are very different. Vampires do well in a paludarium in comparison to hermies.

Perhaps in a larger tank where you could create zones suitable to both species... but in a well stocked 50g, I'd pass and keep them seperate.

That kind of sux and i also see what the other persons saying. Do you think there's any other types of crabs i could put with the hermits when it's not as populated
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 23, 2019 4:40 pm

I personally would only keep land hermit crabs in the tank. Every species of crab is different and have different needs, not to mention they come from various habitats.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu May 23, 2019 6:24 pm

FinalxFantasy wrote:
That kind of sux and i also see what the other persons saying. Do you think there's any other types of crabs i could put with the hermits when it's not as populated
In a large tank, and its kept relatively undocked and can have areas that suit each species needs, then yeah. I do think its possible - reccomended on the other hand, probs not.

Even then, when mixing species I would only do if you're have kept each in seperate enclosures for a suitable time frame that you're comfortable in providing and well versed in their care. Mixing animals is a delicate process, and having a good understanding on each species is critical to ensure success - or understand when it simply is not working, and one to be removed.

~~~~~

I'm currently keeping a 'small' species of marine hermit crab in my saltwater pool, along with a green star polyp.... It was definitely a delicate decision, and I certainly knew what I was getting into before going out and purchasing the marine hermie. Having prior knowledge in aquariums was partially the reason why to date I've been somewhat successful in the process.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies