Substrate depth & moss pit

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
FairyDefender

Substrate depth & moss pit

Post by FairyDefender » Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 am

New Hermie mom. I need to add more substrate but one of my hermies is buried and has been for a few weeks so I think he is molting. Another has a pretty cool cave dug and I don't want to mess it up. Is it safe to add more while they are under? Using Fluker's Hermit Beach. In some places it's 4-5 inches deep but in others only about 3. I have no idea where the one has buried himself. He is the largest, his shell is about 1.5 -2 inches tall.

Also I want to add a moss pit. How deep should the moss be? Will they feel safe in it during the day or should it be covered? Right now they all seem to bury themselves during the day.

Thanks for the help🙂

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Substrate depth & moss pit

Post by curlysister » Thu May 30, 2019 12:57 pm

You can add up to an inch of substrate, but don't pack it down at all.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 pm

I think what curlysister meant to say is an inch every 24hrs. And I would add just don't cover up the tunnels. So add around it. Playsand is probably much cheaper than what you mentioned. And a moss pit can be a few inches deep. It's very loose and they dig right through it, push some out of the pit. Some of mine sleep in there during the day. It doesn't have to be dark around the moss pit.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks!
I was afraid I wouldn't mix the play sand correctly but when it's time for clean sand I will try that way. I thought it would be deep enough when we got the terrarium but ran out of sand & didn't want to make the poor little guys stay in the plastic container of pebbles they came home from school in. Oscar buried himself right away so then I didn't know what to do.
As far as the moss pit, I keep thinking there has to be more I'm missing. So if I understand correctly it's just a "bowl" of damp moss for them to hang out in, preferably up above ground level? Seems to simple, lol

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 pm
I think what curlysister meant to say is an inch every 24hrs. And I would add just don't cover up the tunnels. So add around it. Playsand is probably much cheaper than what you mentioned. And a moss pit can be a few inches deep. It's very loose and they dig right through it, push some out of the pit. Some of mine sleep in there during the day. It doesn't have to be dark around the moss pit.
What the heck?? I could have sworn I typed 'every 24 hours'!! LOL, thanks for clarifying it!

Also, FairyD, when you say 'time for clean sand', do you mean changing it all? if you have proper substrate and there's not a problem like a bacterial bloom, it never needs to be completely replaced. You can just add more as needed. I have gone from a 10 to 20 and then to 55 gallon tank, and have just added more substrate and mixed it up. In 8 1/2 years, I have never thrown out my sub and started again.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
FairyDefender

Post by FairyDefender » Fri May 31, 2019 7:05 am

Wow! I did not know that. I thought for sure I would have to change it at some point. That's awesome. So glad u told me that! Thanks!