Substrate issue can you help please?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Wendy UK

Substrate issue can you help please?

Post by Wendy UK » Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi. I'm having a problem with the crabbies substrate... Its a mix between eco earth and playsand 75%/25%...

It starts pretty perfect nice texture - near text book. But in a few weeks it's sodden! Heavy and too wet.

A month ago I took it all out and squeezed loads of water out and as it was fresh only 6weeks before, put it back into crabitat thinking job done.

But nope, it's sodden again.

I have an automatic spray set up and reduced the amount by half from before but I do have a few issues with humidity and need to watch it closely..

I just can't seem to get the balance right... Any advice.. Really can do with some??

Thanks Xx

Xenocrab

Re: Substrate issue can you help please?

Post by Xenocrab » Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm not familiar with automatic spray, but perhaps that could be the problem. The EE holds a lot of moisture, so we use less. We use more sand than EE. Do you have bubblers in your waters?
Be watchful of bacterial bloom. They can be fatal for crabbies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Xenocrab on Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Most people recommend more sand that ecoearth, since the ecoearth can absorb too much water. However, I think that probably saved you from having standing water in this case. Misting is rarely recommended anymore as it adds too much water into the substrate. Water droplets want to move with gravity, and will sink to the very bottom of the tank causing floods. A well sealed and maintained tank has very little need for more water to be added in. The only way a tank can handle any regular misting is if its loosing just as much water to evaporation as what is being added in, so the levels stay equal. Humidity levels by themsleves are not a good measure of this, but how fast the sub dries out is. I'd recommend getting the sub to a good sandcastle consistancy, seal the tank up, and hold off on the misting for now. Your tank should stabilize!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri May 31, 2019 5:24 pm

I agree with Wodesorel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Fri May 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi

Thanks I'll put in more sand.. So would 75%sand and 25% EE Be better mix?

What is bacterial bloom please? 🤔

My crabbies hate the bubblers I tried before I bought the water system Exo Terra Monsoon.

And they really don't like moss... Fussy things... My tank is not 100% sealable (is that a word?). But not too bad. I just worry about humidity.

I have 2 hermit crabs one is very active eats and drinks well and always gets into pickles!
The other is very quiet and drinks but doesn't eat much.. Rests alot.... But i think they're doing well....

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 pm

How big is your tank?
How deep is your substrate?
What is on the top for a lid that you can't seal it off?
What do you use for heat?

I looked up the Exo Terra Monsoon, and that is definitely WAY too much moisture going into the tank. I would not recommend it.
When there is too much water, crabs can drown if they are under molting when there is a flood. A bacterial bloom is when bacteria grows under the substrate. Both floods and bacterial blooms are considered emergencies that can be fatal.
Most of us use an approximately 5 parts of sand to 1 part of EE.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:45 am

Hi Curlysister

My tank is 60x40x40, the lid is glass held with acrylic clips so there is a very small space around the lid thus not completely sealed. I have a infra red heater.

I've got the substrate 6"deep.

The tank, I know now, was not the best choice but I'm pretty much stuck with it for now :(

Had I seen your website before my choice of tank and heater would be different.

I know you're right about the drowning bit which I why Im so concerned :((.

Thanks x

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:13 am

Is an infrared heater, like a lamp? Many people have too many humidity problems with lamps used for heat sources. Personally, I would get an UTH or two (they are called Under Tank Heaters but are never put under the tank, always on the back or sides). My house is very inconsistent in temperature, so I have multiple heaters that I can plug in all or some or none. Some people use a thermostat with their heater. If you continue to use the 'monsoon', you will have continuous problems with flooding and your substrate. The tank can probably work, with modifications to what you are doing for heat and humidity.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers