Crab drinking alot of salt water

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
cheeba1980

Crab drinking alot of salt water

Post by cheeba1980 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello all,

I have a medium to large Aussie crab. He is drinking his salt dish sometimes in a day. The dish is approx 1cm deep and 10 cm across. Is this normal? My other baby crabs that died after their first molt did not drink that much. Is this a sign of an oncoming molt?

CHEERS

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab drinking alot of salt water

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello :) What kind of salt are you using? I just want to make sure that you are using a product such as Instant Ocean or Red Sea (products used to make saltwater for fishtanks).

Edit: I also wanted to state that pools should be deep enough for crabs to fully submerge themselves in and safely get out of by themselves. A lot of us use tupperware containers. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
cheeba1980

Post by cheeba1980 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 pm

I am using blue planet brand hermit crab salt. I have been looking at a deeper bowl for him but also i have read if its too deep they can drown. Getting back to the original question, is it normal for a crab to drink this much salt water? thanks

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:27 pm

I don't think that is a proper marine salt. The mixing directions don't seem right, and neither do the instructions about giving a weekly bath nor the claim that it helps with molting or preventing soft shell.
Do you use a dechlorinator for your water? If so, what brand?
Water bowl need to be deep enough that crabs can fully submerge, but have a way that they can climb out. Some people use shells, rocks, or craft mesh.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
cheeba1980

Post by cheeba1980 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:29 am

Declorinator is standard API declorinator with no extra bells and whistles. I have changed over from fish to crabs for something different after on and off fish for over 20 years. I have a marine fish shop nearby, i will purchase a proper marine salt water product for fish from them.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 am

Here's the link to the HCA page about water, dechlorinator, salt, etc. Lots of good info:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92553
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:23 pm

cheeba1980 wrote:Declorinator is standard API declorinator with no extra bells and whistles. I have changed over from fish to crabs for something different after on and off fish for over 20 years. I have a marine fish shop nearby, i will purchase a proper marine salt water product for fish from them.
Looks like blue planet is an Australian brand. If your local marine shop uses that brand also for their fish, it may be okay. Not sure as it's not mainstream. . All local fish stores, at least in NA, carries Instant Ocean.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Scarletfire wrote:Looks like blue planet is an Australian brand. If your local marine shop uses that brand also for their fish, it may be okay. Not sure as it's not mainstream. . All local fish stores, at least in NA, carries Instant Ocean.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
The marine salt marketed for fish is fine. The salt marketed for hermit crabs is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk