Mixing crabs?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
topbunkbear

Mixing crabs?

Post by topbunkbear » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi, I'm currently the proud owner of 2 hermies from the pet store. I'm on vacation right now, and sadly I've seen countless hermit crabs for sale. I want to buy one so it's removed from those horrible conditions, but I'm nervous that the new crab can cause my others to get sick or die.

I do not have an isolation tank or medication for my crabs.

Should I buy one or leave em be?

RiNiKy506

Mixing crabs?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:04 pm

That’s completely up to you. A lot of the hermit crab groups recommend to adopt bc buying from pet stores and beach shops just circles into a vicious cycle of people buying them and shops restocking crabs but that is completely up to you. I have bought some and added them to my tank right away and been ok, it’s your comfort level. As long as your new friend seems healthy, they should be ok.

Topic author
topbunkbear

Re: Mixing crabs?

Post by topbunkbear » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Is it possible the new crab could attack the others or carry a disease or mites?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Mixing crabs?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm

topbunkbear wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm
Is it possible the new crab could attack the others or carry a disease or mites?
Anything is possible. Before putting him in the tank quickly dunk him in the freshwater pool so he won't have a "stranger" smell. And as long as you are feeding them plenty of calcium and protein daily and have extra shells, it would reduce the risk of an attack.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi