Crabs can’t grip/climb?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Gracemackenz

Crabs can’t grip/climb?

Post by Gracemackenz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi! I bought 2 new crabs from a pet store - most of the crabs in the tank at the store were dead or what I assume to be dead, dying, or missing limbs. I bought the 2 that I figured may have a chance (this was about a month ago that I bought them. I noticed that the tips of their legs are broken off, so they don’t have nails or anything to grip on to my climbing wall, etc. I’m scared they won’t be able to climb out of the holes they dug or won’t be able to get food and water. Is it in any way possible for them to grow back? Or are they just going to forever be stuck without nails? Please help!!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crabs can’t grip/climb?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 pm

Gracemackenz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 pm
Hi! I bought 2 new crabs from a pet store - most of the crabs in the tank at the store were dead or what I assume to be dead, dying, or missing limbs. I bought the 2 that I figured may have a chance (this was about a month ago that I bought them. I noticed that the tips of their legs are broken off, so they don’t have nails or anything to grip on to my climbing wall, etc. I’m scared they won’t be able to climb out of the holes they dug or won’t be able to get food and water. Is it in any way possible for them to grow back? Or are they just going to forever be stuck without nails? Please help!!
They usually heal during a molt.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister

Re: Crabs can’t grip/climb?

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 pm

They will grow them back when they molt. If they have dug under the substrate, don't dig them up. They could stay under for weeks or even months. Just be sure to look at the care sheets so that you have proper conditions for them, temp / humidity / food / waters / substrate / etc. They can dig even without toenails or missing limbs!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers