Bugs !!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Pinkypants

Bugs !!

Post by Pinkypants » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:56 am

I just brought 1 of my crabbies up & he's dead, out of but next to shell. I saw a lil clump at edge of shell, examined w/ magnified glass, TINY white worm like spots slightly moving. I have 2 more in tank, freaking out !! ??????????!!!!

Oliviet#1

Re: Bugs !!

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 am

Pinkypants wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:56 am
I just brought 1 of my crabbies up & he's dead, out of but next to shell. I saw a lil clump at edge of shell, examined w/ magnified glass, TINY white worm like spots slightly moving. I have 2 more in tank, freaking out !! ??????????!!!!
It might be helpful to give your other crabs a saltwater bath, and a freshwater bath after. Make sure to examine the crabs for mites and the salt water for any other bugs or mites. Also change the water after each bath (only bathe one crab at a time). If the bugs are in the tank, you might want to iso them in a 10 gallon with paper towels instead of sand to prevent the bugs from staying. I hope someone can help you identify the bug
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

RiNiKy506

Bugs !!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Can you post a picture so someone can help you identify the bugs? Some of use the Tapatalk app to post pictures, in my opinion, is the easiest because your already logged into the forum. Or you can use an image hosting website like imgur, Flickr, imageshack, or something similar also.

Edit: Do not dig up your crabs until you figure out if the bugs are harmful. Digging up your crabs can be more life threatening than the bugs, depending on what they are.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 am

If your crab was dead, then more than likely it was a maggot.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 am

I agree with GB, once a crab is dead it will attract all manner of scavengers. Do not panic! Only start to be concerned if you are seeing something on your live ones.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram