Fair Crab!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Sarah128

Fair Crab!

Post by Sarah128 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 am

My dad... just took my daughter to the fair. She won a crab.. and a lizard (she is 5 why & how was she so good at the game..) i made her a bargain she could keep 1 and I'd rehome the other.. she chose the crab.. perfect because i like it way more the. A lizard ha. But we are a 1 income family and I know there set up is EXPENSIVE to start..

How can I cut some corners.. right now I have it in a lg critter keeper and I'm trying to keep the humidity and heat up. I know it needs moved ASAP but we are so tight on cash.. how can I move it to a better environment quickly?
Last edited by Sarah128 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Crab Maid

Re: Fair Crab!

Post by The Crab Maid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:51 am

Convert a tote, they're way cheaper than glass tanks and easier to seal.

The rest is still going to cost money - sand substrate is relatively cheap, and the Eco earth isn't too bad in price. You need two water dishes, you can get cheap Tupperware for that. You'll need heating pads and a gauge for temp and humidity. Extra shells. Preferably a friend. Instant Ocean mix for salt water. Some climbing things. You could try and ask for donations if anyone has extra stuff in your area. Heck, check the adoptions area and see if anyone is giving away set ups/crabs in your area for free and you can add your crab to the mix. Craigslist might have stuff, and there are a lot of summer sales going on.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
Sarah128

Post by Sarah128 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 am

I looked everyone I could think of to get perused crabatat items.. I live in mahoning county ohio if you have any extra ideas.. I checked facebook and craigslist..

With the tote.. we dont need to make holes right?
The heating pad.. can I use a human one til I can save for a decent one? Will they melt plastic?

I am literally so nervous this thing wont make it through the next 2 days.. I dont think we have any local stores open til monday but I can get the tote and stuff from walmart..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:14 am

Holes are optional. Humidity is easier to keep up without the holes though, you're going to open and "air" the tank daily when you switch out food anyway.

I don't see anything in the Ohio area on here in the adoptions center. :(

A human heating pad can work if it's set to low, and it'd be against the cage not under it. I'm not sure what a log critter is, if it's a plastic critter keeper a low heating pad should be fine.

Topic author
Sarah128

Post by Sarah128 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:17 am

Yes a critter keeper.. I'm not sure what went on with the spelling there ha. I appreciate the help. Thank you! I hope I can get this guy in a better place in the morning.

Topic author
Sarah128

Post by Sarah128 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 pm

I appreciate everyone on here! A wonderful lady is going to sell me some good food and a tank quite cheap and she only lives one city over! Where is the cheapest place to buy coco bricks and play sand this time of year (beginning of summer where I live)

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 am

Sarah128 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:36 pm
I appreciate everyone on here! A wonderful lady is going to sell me some good food and a tank quite cheap and she only lives one city over! Where is the cheapest place to buy coco bricks and play sand this time of year (beginning of summer where I live)

Congrats! :crabbigsmile:

I got my eco earth on amazon. Play sand is cheap and can be bought at Home Depot or similar stores.