Heat and humidity

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Coral1991

Heat and humidity

Post by Coral1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:26 pm

For heat and humidity. So I have two purple pinchers one medium to large one medium. My tank heat is 83 degrees and humidity is 85 percent. Are these suitable conditions . These are monitored via indoor outdoor acurite. Not the cheap analog ones. I just out the outdoor sensor in my tank above my fogger hose.

Xenocrab

Re: Heat and humidity

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:33 pm

That's good. Just watch for flooding & bacterial bloom with the fogger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm

Those conditions are ideal.

You can never have too high of humidity for crabs. If you get condensation on the inside of the tank you may want to wipe it out. Over time it can drip and run into you substrate. You can always open your lid and allow it to air out too.

You temperature is good to. I have found my guys seem to be more active in the 82-85 range. If it gets warmer then that they tend to bury to cool off. If the temperature drops below 75 my guys seem to get more sluggish.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Coral1991

Post by Coral1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:38 pm

Yes I will wipe the sides of my tank for sure I have one buried about 5 or 6 inches his name is grant lol the other is buried about two inches down can see her she'll "Coral" I have eco earth 6 in at the deepest then 3 in at the shallow end of my tank.

Topic author
Coral1991

Post by Coral1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:38 pm

20 gallon long

Topic author
Coral1991

Post by Coral1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:50 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm
Those conditions are ideal.

You can never have too high of humidity for crabs. If you get condensation on the inside of the tank you may want to wipe it out. Over time it can drip and run into you substrate. You can always open your lid and allow it to air out too.

You temperature is good to. I have found my guys seem to be more active in the 82-85 range. If it gets warmer then that they tend to bury to cool off. If the temperature drops below 75 my guys seem to get more sluggish.
Thank you

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Coral1991 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:38 pm
Yes I will wipe the sides of my tank for sure I have one buried about 5 or 6 inches his name is grant lol the other is buried about two inches down can see her she'll "Coral" I have eco earth 6 in at the deepest then 3 in at the shallow end of my tank.
The entire tank should be minimum 6 inches. Then if you want a hill you can add to one side.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Coral1991

Post by Coral1991 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:04 pm

I have a high side and a low side where my salt water l, fresh water, and food dishes are half the length of the tank is 6 mins deep and then slopes gradually to 3 inches.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:37 pm

You will want to keep the substrate fairly level across your entire tank. Giving 6 inches aross the entire tank gives them more room to molt. The more area they have to hide the less chach another crab will accidentally or intentionally find them. Freshly she'd exo's make crabs soft. Any disturbance can easily kill or deform them. They are also unable to protect themselves from other crabs. If another crab finds a molter chances are he will become a meal.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities