Substrate cleaning

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Substrate cleaning

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:55 am

I know we should never do a deep clean unless there is flooding, but what about surface cleaning to remove poop? Not sure what I need to do for that.

Is there a"cleaning schedule " for when things need to be cleaned?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Substrate cleaning

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:16 am

You can surface clean to remove poo, but its certainly not required. I personally like to spot clean my tank to remove EE from the substrate whenever possible - I use straight sand, personal choice - and food that the crabs have dragged around.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:36 pm

I also don't scoop out the poop, I just mix it into the substrate every now and then. I do remove bits of food every now and then, maybe once a week or whenever I notice it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 pm

@aussie/curly, do either of you have isopods? If no, how do you deal with it decomposing?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 am

Scarletfire wrote:@aussie/curly, do either of you have isopods? If no, how do you deal with it decomposing?

In the past, I use to have isopods. In fact, I recently brought a colony of 'giant isopods' which I plan to grow before introducing into my tank.

Currently I have springtails growing in my crabitat, and a couple of times seen harmless detrivous mites scampering about which naturally reside in our crabitats due to high levels of food and moisture.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:55 am

No isopods. I always just figured that the poop decomposed like compost. I think those of us that don't scoop out the poop are in the minority, most people do scoop what they can see on the surface. I only have two crabs, currently in a 55 gallon, so the poop isn't all that obvious LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:49 pm

I also have springtails in my tank, and I never even hardly notice them unless they are floating in the water dish

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Nitegoddess

Post by Nitegoddess » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:26 pm

So substrate changes are never needed unless an emergency? It seems like they would be next to impossible to do as wouldn't a crab almost always be molting if you have a few?

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:26 pm
So substrate changes are never needed unless an emergency? It seems like they would be next to impossible to do as wouldn't a crab almost always be molting if you have a few?
Molting is why I've never done a full substrate change on my tank. There's always at least one who's underground and I'm too paranoid to disturb them. I usually just spot clean the surface and refill as necessary.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Nitegoddess

Post by Nitegoddess » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Ok, that is what I was trying to figure out if that is actually something that would be needed. I was dreading trying to figure out how to do that, so I am glad to hear that it is not usually done!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Correct. And if there was an emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom, you would need to dig up any crabs that were under.
Fingers crossed it never happens to you!