New crab mommy

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Sillymel

New crab mommy

Post by Sillymel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:17 am

My daughter brought home a hermit crab from the fair a couple weeks ago. Like a lot of people, I thought this would be a pretty easy pet to take care of as long as he/she had food and water, and some friends, so I went and bought 2 more hermit crabs and a 10 gallon tank. I did some research online and purchased supplies to go with my tank...under tank heater, climbing toys, a regular water dish and a salt water dish, food dish, extra shells, temperature/humidity gauge, and coconut fiber substrate. As I continued to read and learn about my new family members I found out that my tank was to small, my substrate to shallow, and my store bought food wasn’t recommended. That’s just the beginning of my uncertainty about caring properly for these little guys.
Two days ago I noticed holes in the substrate (All 3 crabs tend to stay on the side of the tank that has the heater and a little hit hide away) but could see all 3 crabs. However, yesterday, the hole that was by the food dish was covered and Greeny (temporary name for the crab with the green shell) was missing. When I removed the food dish last night to put fresh food in it, there was Greeny underneath. I didn’t bother him and gently placed the dish back over him. But now I’m not sure if he is molting and is under the dish because my substrate isn’t deep enough (approx 3”) or if he’s just hanging out. I got a 20 gallon tank yesterday along with a new and larger under the tank heater, a clamp light and a blue daytime bulb, lots of new substrate to make it 6-8” deep and was going to upgrade their tank today but now I’m not sure if I should. Also, I have new bags of unopened play sand in my garage, should I use that instead of the coconut fiber? Should I do half and half? There is so many different suggestions on the internet that I don’t know what to do. I came across your website this morning as I was searching for more information and am so happy I did. Can someone help me???

Hermiesguardian

Re: New crab mommy

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 am

Welcome to the wonderful addicting world of crabbing. I don't have time right now to answer all your questions. I'm sure someone else will. But check out the care guides on here. They have all the info you need.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

New crab mommy

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 am

You should have a mix of play sand and eco earth(coco fiber), ratio of 5:1, 5 parts play sand to 1 part cocofiber. I’ll link you to the substrate care guides and you should be able to find the other care guides pretty easily from there. If you need a link to anything else just ask. Image

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ ... 26&t=92542

Topic author
Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will definitely check out the link. There is a lot of information on the site. I’m sure that as I navigate it more and learn how to use it properly that I will find everything I need. Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Sillymel wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 pm
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will definitely check out the link. There is a lot of information on the site. I’m sure that as I navigate it more and learn how to use it properly that I will find everything I need. Thank you again!

You're welcome. Just another word about the substrate. It has to mixed with dechlorinated fresh or saltwater to sandcastle consistancy.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:24 pm

It can be hard to learn to navigate a new forum. Here is everything you need.

viewforum.php?f=120

It can seem like a lot and overwhelming but you’ll do fine. Image

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Welcome to the HCA!!! Seems like you are doing everything right for your little crabbies. You shouldn't have to worry about the little guy under the food dish, my 2 boys always hang out under their bowls. (Just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get their shell stuck, my boy did that once and he had to drop his shell to get out) (He's absolutely fine now)

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:35 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:Welcome to the HCA!!!ImageImageImage Seems like you are doing everything right for your little crabbies.Image You shouldn't have to worry about the little guy under the food dish, my 2 boys always hang out under their bowls. (Just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get their shell stuck, my boy did that once and he had to drop his shell to get outImage) (He's absolutely fine nowImageImage)

Thank you. He’s still under the food dish. I actually bought a new dish for their food so I wouldn’t keep moving the one that he’s under. I haven’t disturbed him and there isn’t a fowl odor coming from the tank so I’m hoping he is ok.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Sillymel wrote: Thank you. He’s still under the food dish. I actually bought a new dish for their food so I wouldn’t keep moving the one that he’s under. I haven’t disturbed him and there isn’t a fowl odor coming from the tank so I’m hoping he is ok.

My guess is that he's probably just de-stressing or just chilling outImageImage

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"