Moving to New Crabitat

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
sofitzdam

Moving to New Crabitat

Post by sofitzdam » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi all,

I wound up rescuing two hermit crabs a little over a month ago who had been originally in a souvenir store, but when I got them, they were in one of those small plastic carriers. I moved them to a 5 gallon tank, complete with substrate, moss, climbing areas, salt water bowl, fresh water bowl, food dish and coconut hut. Within a week or so, one dug down to molt and has just resurfaced :)! They are both doing a lot of hiding in the mossy area of the tank. I know they are coming out at night to eat and drink as the food and water are disturbed in the morning and I have cleaned up poop in the area they dig down into.

I realize now that a 5 gallon tank is too small and have purchased a 10 gallon to move them into. This is my first time owning hermit crabs and I didn't realize how much space they needed. I don't want to stress them out, but would like to move them into the new larger tank. My question is when to do this, since one just resurfaced from molting in the last day or so. I think the other one is looking to molt but doesn't have deep enough substrate maybe. I also don't want to re-stress them out by moving tanks too soon.

Thoughts? I appreciate anything anyone can share. Thank you!

The Crab Maid

Re: Moving to New Crabitat

Post by The Crab Maid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm

You can relocate them immediately. They may borrow to de-stress, but if no one is down molting this is prime time to get them moved before you have another molter on your hands.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
sofitzdam

Re: Moving to New Crabitat

Post by sofitzdam » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:29 am

Thank you!!