New crabitat new owner

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Cottman26

New crabitat new owner

Post by Cottman26 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Hello,

Looking for any advice on this I can get. We decided to get some hermit crabs a few weeks ago. We had 5 of them in a 10 gal tank. I got a good deal on a 29 gal tank so I upgraded. Cleaned the tank and gave them 6 in of substrate (originally they only had an inch or 2 for a few weeks) they all buried in the first 24 hrs after the change. I have 1 I suspected was molting so I burried him during the move gently. We keep the humidity above 60% and temp above 70. I havent seen any evidence of them coming up at night in 3 days. They have freshwater and saltwater dishes and a food dish with a variety of food. Whats going on with them? Is it as simple as moving stress? Should I just keep the water/food fresh and keep spraying the tank until they come up?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New crabitat new owner

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:13 pm

You need to unbury the crab that you buried and isolate him. Crabs make a 'cave' under the substrate to molt, if you bury them once they are dug up, they will suffocate. The substrate needs to be moist enough to hold it's shape but not so wet that water pools. Once a crab has buried, don't dig it up unless there is an emergency such as a flood or bacterial bloom.
Your humidity needs to be higher, at least 75%. Crabs have modified gills and need the humidity to breathe. Your heat also needs to be higher, 75 to 80. Ideal is 80 degrees and 80% humidity. There is no such thing as 'too humid', so higher is okay.
What do you have as a lid on your tank? Are you using a heat source?
What brand of dechlorinator and salt are you using?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:21 pm

We have a screen lid and use a heating pad that sticks to the bottom of the tank. Also, what does he need in the isolation tank? Will he eat/drink during molting? He was super active then one day just stopped and sat right on the surface, no fishy smell coming from him, I dont think hes dead. Thanks

The HermitIX

Post by The HermitIX » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 pm

Cottman26 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:21 pm
We have a screen lid and use a heating pad that sticks to the bottom of the tank. Also, what does he need in the isolation tank? Will he eat/drink during molting? He was super active then one day just stopped and sat right on the surface, no fishy smell coming from him, I dont think hes dead. Thanks
You should cover your screen lid with plastic wrap to keep humidity in! It will help keep your humidity up! Maybe even consider getting a glass lid if you can make the investment. I would also move the heater from the bottom of the tank to the back side, above the substrate or a couple inches below is okay. Crabs expect it to get colder when they dig and they sometimes dig to cool off.

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Ok, so we added the plastic wrap to the lid, repositioned the heating pad. Temp and humidity are holding at 70% and 75 degrees. Is it normal for the crabs to stay under for days like this? Is it possible 4 of them were ready to molt when we boight them and have gone underground to do so because they finally can in the deeper soil? 4 oit of 5 havent done anything in 4 days now.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Yes, it’s completely normal for them to be buried for long periods of time. They can go underground for several months and be fine. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Ok so after 1 day with the plastic on the tank smells awful. I'm worried it will cause mildew or mold in the substrate. Is this common?

ThatMamaDawn

Post by ThatMamaDawn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 pm

What is your substrate? Does it just smell like a wet soil smell instead of moldy?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mama of 4 PP’s: Crabby, Hermie, Mr. Crabs, & Squidward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:14 pm

It's all EE, I'm not really sure how to describe the smell. It just stinks.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 am

EE tends to have an earthy smell. Smells you need to be worried about are a sulfur or rotting egg smell (indicates a bacterial bloom), and the dead fish smell (indicates a dead crab). Otherwise it’s typically pretty normal and nothing to be concerned about, unless it’s a chemical smell in which case might be a completely different issue. I’d double check for any rotting food that might have been dragged off.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Ok, we got the smell and humidity straightened out! Plastic works well, we cut 1 inch strips off the plastic to allow fresh air but the tank is holding with a morning and night misting. 3 crabs have still not been seen since we changed to the larger tank and gave them deeper substrate. I'm thinking they were ready to molt but the conditions werent right so as soon as it was they went down to do just that? Does that sound reasonable? We did lose a crab but after someone at the pet store we purchased from looked at it she decided they should have never sold it to us because he was stuck in too small a shell and was doomed from the start. After changing tanks (if they are not molting) is it normal for them to disappear and not come out, even at night for a while?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Cottman26 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:21 pm
Ok, we got the smell and humidity straightened out! Plastic works well, we cut 1 inch strips off the plastic to allow fresh air but the tank is holding with a morning and night misting. 3 crabs have still not been seen since we changed to the larger tank and gave them deeper substrate. I'm thinking they were ready to molt but the conditions werent right so as soon as it was they went down to do just that? Does that sound reasonable? We did lose a crab but after someone at the pet store we purchased from looked at it she decided they should have never sold it to us because he was stuck in too small a shell and was doomed from the start. After changing tanks (if they are not molting) is it normal for them to disappear and not come out, even at night for a while?
Yes they bury to de stress. They can stay under for awhile even though not molting. If you smooth out the substrate and they come out at night, you will see evidence.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:04 pm

If you have trouble keeping the humidity, you don't actually need to have any openings in the plastic wrap - they will get enough air exchange when you open up to change out water, food, etc. Some people have had trouble with flooding if they mist too much, so just be sure to watch for that.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ThatMamaDawn

Post by ThatMamaDawn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 am

Cottman26 wrote:3 crabs have still not been seen since we changed to the larger tank and gave them deeper substrate. I'm thinking they were ready to molt but the conditions werent right so as soon as it was they went down to do just that?
I changed my tank to give my crabs a bigger tank and deeper substrate. All 4 crabs disappeared right away. I’ve seen one moving in and out of my moss pit for a few times BUT my biggest crab just got active again the night before last. And he molted. So I wouldn’t worry unless you get the dead fish smell.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mama of 4 PP’s: Crabby, Hermie, Mr. Crabs, & Squidward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 pm

UPDATE: one of the crabs we have not seen since July resurfaced last night! Spotted him on the climbing net.