Lone remaining crab - Don't want her to live out her days alone, but don't want to endanger potential friends

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Pigeon

Lone remaining crab - Don't want her to live out her days alone, but don't want to endanger potential friends

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Hello,

About eight years ago, I adopted three (I'm about 80% sure Ecuadorian) hermit crabs looking for a home. (Unfortunately, I don't know anything about their previous home, so I'm not sure how old they were or what the tank conditions were like). Noel II died of I think natural causes a year or two later (Noel I was a cat, not a prior hermit crab), but Amelia and Violet did pretty well for several more years, until I found Amelia dead of decidedly less natural-looking causes.

Reading through other posts here, I'm fairly certain that Violet cannibalized her either because the substrate should've been a couple inches deeper (she'd decided to moult directly under the water dish, even though the substrate did go further down than that), or because they weren't getting additional animal protein (I've been feeding them the Repashy 'Beach Buffet' powdered food, fruits and vegetables, and occasional plain stovetop popcorn as a treat).

I don't want Violet to have to live alone, but I also don't want to endanger any other potential tank mates. I've taped a mirror to the side of the tank as a temporary fix, but I realize that's not the same as actual company. I don't hear any chirping like I used to when there were two or three of them, and it's rather heartbreaking. Given sufficiently deep substrate and extra protein on top of the Repashy, what are the odds that Violet would cannibalize another tank mate?

Thank you for reading this!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Lone remaining crab - Don't want her to live out her days alone, but don't want to endanger potential friends

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:20 pm

From what I've read on here, E's need deeper substrate, 10", 11". And more protein than pp's. Which is daily anyway. And they need calcium daily. If you do introduce another crab, dip it in the freshwater pool so they smell like the tank. Check out the safe/unsafe food list and food pyramid.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Pigeon

Re: Lone remaining crab - Don't want her to live out her days alone, but don't want to endanger potential friends

Post by Pigeon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Nearly a foot of substrate! I didn't realize it had to be quite that deep - looks like I'll be finding a higher tank/terrarium.

Thank you for the advice!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 pm

You will find the care sheets on here very helpful!
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

The magiduck

Post by The magiduck » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:10 am

The chirping being gone is a good sight actually chirping is a sign of irritation

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:07 pm

My crab did this as well in his previous home, killing several "friends," so I am also apprehensive about introducing new tankmates. But there is so much warning against keeping them alone. What is better, providing them with victims or keeping them alone?
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•