Question about shells

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
KristenL0522

Question about shells

Post by KristenL0522 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 am

Hey all! Hope you’re doing well today!!
I’m struggling trying to find right fit of shells for my boys...
I am at a loss at how to measure them and what’s needed lol
I also see a lot of people have their shells in a container and even in a corner hanging container... why is that? Can they change shells when in a container like that? Or do you think they drag it out? I need to soon break down and get a camera and watch the little buggers lol. any suggestions on those?
Thanks y’all!

Maddamay32

Re: Question about shells

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:16 am

Just measure the opening of the shell, I use a ruler or fabric measuring tape. Measure your crabs shell first while they're hiding inside so when you are trying to buy new shells you'll know where to start. I recommend buying a few that are the same size as the one they are already in and only going up by about 1/8 of a size at a time. If your crab is in an ill fitting shell (like a petstore shell) you will just need to buy a bunch of different shells to find what your crab truly needs. Every crab I've known that came from any commercial store have always been in shells significantly smaller than what the crab actually needed.

I buy all my shells online either through amazon or naples seashell company (I recommend the later for yourself, the website is very user & hermit friendly lol)
8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Xenocrab

Re: Question about shells

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:28 am

We buy from Ken Lipe. He has great shells. I don't do shell shops in my bigger tanks for my big crabs. I scattered them all over the tank. For my captive bred babies, I use shell shops just so I can maybe tell if they changed pants!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.