Adopted hermit crabs with missing limbs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
kittypandarawr

Adopted hermit crabs with missing limbs

Post by kittypandarawr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Hey guys got a question. I just adopted some hermit crabs with some issues and was wondering your guys opinion on how i should set them up. Theres a mediumish sized one missing his entire eating claw and then a baby who had a molt recently but she lost almost all of her back legs, theres only two left. What would you guys suggest for set up for them aside from my main tank?

Any help and suggestions will be super appreciated!
:crabbigsmile:

Chocobo

Re: Adopted hermit crabs with missing limbs

Post by Chocobo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Crabs can eat with both claws. If one is weak I would just isolate the weak one. Sometimes crabs lose limbs when they're molting, and that can be from either stress, fights, poor tank conditions, or mites.
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adopted hermit crabs with missing limbs

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Hello! Congratulations on your new adoptions! I'm not sure what your question really is. They will regrow their limbs. Make sure you provide them with plenty of calcium and protein as well as the other necessary items from the food pyramid :) Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help! :)

Edit: Welcome to the HCA! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com