Changing substrate

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Crab-bag

Changing substrate

Post by Crab-bag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm

If 3 of my 4 crabs are buried, when do I change my substrate? It’s only been a month but I just want to be ready. If they are still buried when it’s time to change it, do I dig them up or leave them be and change it when they aren’t buried anymore?

Sillymel

Re: Changing substrate

Post by Sillymel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm

I’m a pretty new crab mom...I’ve had mine for about 2 months now, but I don’t think you are ever supposed to dig the crabs up unless it’s absolutely necessary. You can always move the other ones and when the one that is under comes up, move him.

I just moved my crabs into a new tank and I actually kept my old one set up Incase I ever need to separate them or I get a new crab. I’ve noticed that a lot of people have an isolation tank

There is ALOT of really good information in the files and also in the discussions. Pretty much everything you need to know that is of importance (digging up crabs).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:40 pm

I totally wrote my comment wrong. I don’t know what I was thinking. I meant to say that I don’t think you have to change the substrate. I read that some people have had the same substrate for as long as they have had their crabs. As it settles, you slowly add more to it.

I did watch a video on YouTube where the girl put her hermit crabs in a dish with water (safe water) slightly covering the bottom while she changed the substrate, but she didn’t have any under.

I’m sure someone way more experienced will respond with the proper advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:47 pm

If you have proper substrate, you do not need to ever change the substrate. Unless there is a flood or bacterial bloom, the sub will be just fine. I have had my crabs for almost 9 years. I have never replaced the substrate. I have added more as they have grown and as I have upgraded to larger tanks, but never thrown any out. Rotting bits of food will need to be gently scooped off the top, and many people also remove the poop.

What are you using for substrate?

When a crab is under ground, you do not dig it up unless there is an emergency like a flood.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers