Lonely Crab question

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Lonely Crab question

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:57 am

So, I got a little issue, with some partial good news- I had 3 crabs ( 1 died back in june sadly ) and I've had all of them for a little more then a year ( they are Odin, Iwao- ( who passed ), and the female, Tukiyo. I've only got two now, and ever since I got them last year, Tukiyo being small has never molted with me, and with it being a little bit more then a year since I've got them, Tukiyo has never tried molting and it was starting to get concerning, but I believe she's finally trying to molt now! She's starting to bury and she hasn't done that really since I got them and they were trying to de-stress.

However, I'm a little worried about Odin since he molted back at the start of the year, and he's the only one on the surface- I don't want him to get lonely and potentially sick from depression due to Tukiyo being underground and being by himself, should I be worried about that and possibly look into trying to get another crab, or will he be ok/ be aware of the other crab being buried?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lonely Crab question

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:32 am

He’ll be fine. He’s not going to suffer while his tankmate is underground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:40 pm

I think they know when they have a friend underground :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:40 pm

She was digging in really inconvenient locations and I had to make sure there was a tunnel of air going down. ( not digging her up, usually sticking sticking my finger done until I touch the tip of her shell ) What was mainly bad about the areas is where Odin actively walks around at and constantly pattens up substrate back up- after being down for roughly 12 days she's hiding behind a padoga I have in the tank. I really thought she was molting because due to her size, and the fact it's been more then a year since I've gotten her- she hasn't molted and with how long it's been, is really concerning. Should I be worried?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:34 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:40 pm
I think they know when they have a friend underground :)
That's cool!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Xenpurgisnachttt wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:40 pm
She was digging in really inconvenient locations and I had to make sure there was a tunnel of air going down. ( not digging her up, usually sticking sticking my finger done until I touch the tip of her shell ) What was mainly bad about the areas is where Odin actively walks around at and constantly pattens up substrate back up- after being down for roughly 12 days she's hiding behind a padoga I have in the tank. I really thought she was molting because due to her size, and the fact it's been more then a year since I've gotten her- she hasn't molted and with how long it's been, is really concerning. Should I be worried?
As long as your substrate is minimum 6 inches they will dig and tunnel all over. No reason to stick your finger in there and touch her. 12 days is not long to be under. 4 months is the beginning of worry time.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:44 pm

I only did it to create an airway because she dug in extremely bad area where there was things like the food bool, etc, and mainly because of the large crab odin that tended to walk all around the area and compacted the holes

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm

They don't need air holes when they are under the surface. Poking around with your finger could cause tunnels to collapse or otherwise disturb a molting or de-stressing crab. It is not recommended.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers