Shells in bowl vs scattered

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Sarah.claire

Shells in bowl vs scattered

Post by Sarah.claire » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi, I have been seeing a lot of people putting shells in a bowl instead of scattering them around the tank. I wonder whether that method is better for the hermit crabs? Or does it really matter? Just trying to figure out whether I should make space in my tank for a new bowl or not.

PinchersAndShells

Re: Shells in bowl vs scattered

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:30 pm

It’s your choice really! I keep mine in a bin for the most part to keep them from being buried in the sand. I do have some on the substrate though.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Sarah.claire

Post by Sarah.claire » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:13 pm

I used to keep the shells in a little square dish with low sides, I thought it looked really cute. The hermies, on the other hand, preferred to throw the shells all over the tank willy nilly! So I gave up on my little dish and just put them where ever now! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:19 pm

I like them in a basket. When I had them scattered the hermits used to bury them, plus they got dirtier quicker.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:57 pm

I had mine in a basket on the floor. They just walked through it to the other side. I put them on the ground, they started shopping. I even tried on a 2nd level shelf, but the shells got knocked off. So they're on the ground, dirty, buried, half buried. Ungrateful crabs. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:57 pm
I had mine in a basket on the floor. They just walked through it to the other side. I put them on the ground, they started shopping. I even tried on a 2nd level shelf, but the shells got knocked off. So they're on the ground, dirty, buried, half buried. Ungrateful crabs. Lol.
LOL! :hlol:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:22 am

I like the idea of a shell shop, but I worry he won't be able to get the shells he wants out.
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:45 pm

I like to hang baskets for "shell shops," keeps the shells cleaner and less likely to get buried; also provides upper-level hangout space and activity areas. It does seem kind of weird, I don't suppose the crabs would find many shells "up in the trees" in nature, but they didn't seem to mind and I got shell changes on a regular basis.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 am

I have a shower caddy with shells in and i have some just sitting on the substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 cats
Buddy and Belle