Crabitat to crabiphat!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Cottman26

Crabitat to crabiphat!

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:46 am

So ive recently planned some upgrades/purchased some new furniture and toys for my crabs. I'm also planning a substrate change from all EE to a mix of sand and EE. The problem I'm having is my crabs are not coming up much right now and im afraid to disturb them in case they are molting. I have 5 pp in a 29 gal tank and 1 of them I have not seen sice july. Do i need to wait until all 5 are up? Is it ok to dig around gently just to see where they are? What should I do?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabitat to crabiphat!

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:33 am

I would not dig them up, the risk is too great.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 am

You can add substrate an inch at a time every 24hrs. Make sure it's sandcastle consistancy. Just don't pat it down. And you don't have to worry about mixing it in, the crabs will do that.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:53 am

I don't think it would work that way, I have close to 8" of all EE in there now. I would have to remove a lot of it to get it the way I want it. Guess I will just wait them out, might set an alarm for 3am to see who's coming out at night.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:45 am

If it's within your budget, you could get a Wyze camera and put in a microsd. It'll record any movement so you'll know if they're coming up in the middle of the night.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk