Adding a new crab...

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Wendy UK

Adding a new crab...

Post by Wendy UK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi

I have had 2 hermit crabs (different types) for 6 months now and fingers crossed and with great thanks for your help they are doing very well and seem happy.

However, there's always a but 😂, when one goes, down to molt there's, always one very lonely crab left :(.. All by themselves... For weeks.. Very sad.

So I've been thinking of getting a third crab (tank will accommodate another one happily). Hoping this, will increase the odds of two being 'up' at same time :idea:

The store I went to for my guys are great and they have more in.. But... How sensible is this do you think? Will I upset the status quo or am I over thinking this?

Thanks xx

Hermiesguardian

Re: Adding a new crab...

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:37 pm

What size is your tank, crabs, and how deep is your substrate? If you can fit another crab, just quickly dip him into the freshwater pool so he smells like the tank. Then just keep an eye out for signs of agression. They'll probably be just some antenna wagging.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi

Thanks 60x60x60..7inches substrate. We have antenna wagging already between the two I have but snuggle up together to sleep :bigkiss:..
Advice sounds good thanks :)

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Oops my guys are in 5cm shells at mo (give or take).. Would try to add similar size I guess...

Hungrytree

Post by Hungrytree » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 am

Wendy UK wrote:Oops my guys are in 5cm shells at mo (give or take).. Would try to add similar size I guess...
Hi
From what I’ve read around in posts by more experienced crabbers, size differences matter less in crab world and may make things less tense because they don’t compete for the same size shells.
YMMV
I have my three mediums together and just have an ungodly number of shell options for them Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Adding a new crab...

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:28 am

That is correct- different sizes can cut back on shell fights and just general competitiveness. I put one of my smallest with one of my large crabs, and they’re like, idk, almost inseparable! Little Gene is like big Barry’s own personal helicopter parent! Image So sometimes different sizes work even better that way.

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clanImage

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:50 am

I've seen my little crabs stare down a larger crab or push them away. It's so funny.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Different sizes... That's, really interesting.. Brilliant thanks... I'm learning so much from you guys... 😁