crabs & paint

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

crabs & paint

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Hello!! As i've talked about before, i will be moving into a new room in the house, one much bigger. And the hermits will be moving into a bigger tank as well! Though, i do have a question. We still have a little bit of paint to go, but afterwards we'll be set to start moving things in!

So here's the question: How long should i wait before introducing them into the new room if it has been painted?
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: crabs & paint

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 pm

I'd wait until no paint fumes can be 'smelled' within the room. A good airing out beforehand to get rid of the remaining fumes would also not hurt!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 pm
I'd wait until no paint fumes can be 'smelled' within the room. A good airing out beforehand to get rid of the remaining fumes would also not hurt!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Alrighty. I'll see how much of my stuff I can move in before handling the tank. Nanny wants to move the 29 gal into there until we have the 100 gal set up, and she won't take no for an answer. I know Dwebble probably went under for a molt again, and I haven't seen lucky, so I'll have to dig them up to avoid collapsing tunnels.
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm

I've painted my house a few times since getting the crabs. I seal up their tank with press and seal before painting, and then open it again the following day. Lots of airflow through the house in the meantime to dissipate the smell. The newer low and no VOC paints are pretty safe though. Never had a problem.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:22 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm
I've painted my house a few times since getting the crabs. I seal up their tank with press and seal before painting, and then open it again the following day. Lots of airflow through the house in the meantime to dissipate the smell. The newer low and no VOC paints are pretty safe though. Never had a problem.
That's good to know. I'm having some painting done in a couple of weeks.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 pm
Thank you! The room was aired out overnight. (2 windows + a door.) Though, now I am brought with something else. My aunt and nanny had to dig the hermit up to move the tank, and I believe Dwebble might've been under a second molt. He is unusually pink now(BP is purple but the edges are light pink) , and was down for a while. I know he needs a dark place, but I need to keep him in the main tank (29 gal.) I will be supplying some crab exo I have in the freezer for him to snack on.

I dunno if he had an actual exo as my aunt and Nanny dug them all up while I was at school and placed them in a kritterkeeper as an Iso (mainly because i texted them what I wanted them to do before moving the tank. Gotta look out for my crabby children lol.) Any help would be appreciated!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am

I would keep this crab separate until his exo is hardened. Hopefully you are able to give the crab his own exo to eat. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am
I would keep this crab separate until his exo is hardened. Hopefully you are able to give the crab his own exo to eat. :)
I dont have his exo, but I do have grinded up crab exo from the crab legs you can buy to eat. He is also isolated into a kritter keeper in the main tank for the time being. Is there any signs I should watch for that shows he is ready to be reintroduced into the tank?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 pm

IsolatedShadow wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm
I dont have his exo, but I do have grinded up crab exo from the crab legs you can buy to eat. He is also isolated into a kritter keeper in the main tank for the time being. Is there any signs I should watch for that shows he is ready to be reintroduced into the tank?
Okay. I would offer him more than just that then. (Other things are cuttlebone, eggshell, oystershell, coral)

It is easier to tell when they have their own exo to finish. You can offer him regular things to eat, but most importantly, provide calcium and protein. When he is very active, you can dip him in the freshwater of the tank and put him back. Don't rush it though. It is better to be safe than sorry. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:03 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 pm
Okay. I would offer him more than just that then. (Other things are cuttlebone, eggshell, oystershell, coral)

It is easier to tell when they have their own exo to finish. You can offer him regular things to eat, but most importantly, provide calcium and protein. When he is very active, you can dip him in the freshwater of the tank and put him back. Don't rush it though. It is better to be safe than sorry. :)
I got cuttlebone I can offer too. I'll put some of that in the ISO and get some egg shells whenever possible lol. I'll soon be smashing up some shells they cant wear. Can/ should I offer that as well? Also, where can I get oyster shell? I heard of it being in pet stores for birds. Would I find them at petsmart or petco?