Best Crab Tank

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
AL247

Best Crab Tank

Post by AL247 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm

I purchased a new larger tank and it has a mesh lid but I think I want to return it and get one with either a glass lid or a hood because I do not want to rig the mesh tank with foil or plastic wrap. I rather have something nice looking. Question is, which between glass lid and hood will give best heat and humidity?

Scarletfire

Re: Best Crab Tank

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:08 pm

A glass lid will hold heat / humidity better than a hood. It's heavier and more robust. Other reasons for a glass lid includes that it's heavier, so a crab cannot push up on it. Hoods are flimsy in a lot of locations, and crabs can escape.

From the heat and humidity perspective, there's less hinges / holes / mini gaps so the heat and humidity will remain trapped. The glass will also create a mini green house effect, depending on where your tank is located, type of lights used, etc.

Topic author
AL247

Re: Best Crab Tank

Post by AL247 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:10 pm

This is very helpful! Thank you so much! I’ve been stressing out about this and just want to get it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk