12 year old crab needs a friend?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MyrtleCrabs

12 year old crab needs a friend?

Post by MyrtleCrabs » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:13 pm

In 2007 I bought 4 hermit crabs in a shirt store down in Myrtle Beach. When I was 10 I had also gotten 1 crab before, again from Myrtle Beach. He died just before having him for a year, but that was wayyyy before there became a ton of info on how to care for them. So my thing is kinda I only get hermit crabs from there, if I don't currently have any.

Sorry, I ramble. Anyway, out of the 4 I got together 12 years ago, only one left remains. Today, for the first time, I witnessed what it looks like when he molts, as he's not buried in sand, but right underneath his log where I can clearly see him if i lift it. It's terrifying to see!

But to the point... I came across a post (not here) somewhere where someone asked if hermit crabs can die from loneliness. I know they're lil' pack creatures, which is why I got 4 to start, but he's been alone now for a couple years, and the response to the question was yes they CAN die from loneliness. This got me worried. I'd hate to buy locally cuz I'd rather get them from Myrtle Beach as I've always done, but my real concern is after being the only crab for a couple years, would he get territorial and attack the new guy? A couple of my originals fought a couple times and I'd have to break them up, and eventually they mellowed out with each other. I'm just not sure if adding a stranger is a good idea for him.

Opinions please? Thank you. :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 12 year old crab needs a friend?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:26 pm

If the tank is large enough, getting a buddy or two (having multiple newbies does help spread out aggression) is always a nice thing.

I'd reccomend adopting or buying crabs larger than your current crab, since they are less likely to be seriously hurt if your current crab is aggressive. In saying that, the vast majority of crab introductions tend to go smoothly, and only seen a couple of 'cases' where the crab was 'anti-crab'.

Bathing the newbies in the freshwater pool before introduction is also another good idea, so they dont smell 'new'.

And of course, if you can, adopt. Many places which offer online sales of animals- such as craigslist - often means you can adopt crabs in your area for a reduced cost/free, often with supplies included. In doing so, your not really supporting the stores (by adding to the sale) and give a crab needing a home in your area a home. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
MyrtleCrabs

Post by MyrtleCrabs » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not sure if he's aggressive or not. The old one that used to pick fights and try to rip them out of their shell was the biggest of the group. He pinched me the first time I held him, hence I named him Pincher. lol

I'll certainly look around and see if any crabbies need adopting around me. I know they're an easy pet to get but not everyone understands the work that goes into caring for them. My very first crab was an accidental purchase. I liked the container but I didn't realize the sign said, "Buy one get a free hermit crab." LOL But I got attached and even got to take him to school with me as an extra credit project. After 12 years with my second set I can't imagine NOT having any hermies to look after. lol

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:43 pm

MyrtleCrabs wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not sure if he's aggressive or not. The old one that used to pick fights and try to rip them out of their shell was the biggest of the group. He pinched me the first time I held him, hence I named him Pincher. lol

I'll certainly look around and see if any crabbies need adopting around me. I know they're an easy pet to get but not everyone understands the work that goes into caring for them. My very first crab was an accidental purchase. I liked the container but I didn't realize the sign said, "Buy one get a free hermit crab." LOL But I got attached and even got to take him to school with me as an extra credit project. After 12 years with my second set I can't imagine NOT having any hermies to look after. lol
Not sure if you've done this yet, but you can post your info on the HCA boards under the classifieds/local adopters section that your looking to adopt some buddies for your crabby. Once I learned about the horrible conditions the crabs go through to be sold at pet stores and shops, it made me never want to buy a crab again. Unfortunately, my crab Beau's tank mate had just passed in July leaving him alone. I posted my info in the classifieds shortly afterwards, and I was able to adopt 2 crabs from someone who messaged me and lived nearby. I also kept my eye on the list of people looking to re-home their crabs, and I adopted 1 crab that way. So now my Beau has 3 friends, is super active and happy, and I didn't have to support the pet shop cruelty (which made me happy). It may take you a little time to find your crab friends, but adopting them will make it totally worth it. ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 pm

You mentioned your crab doing a surface molt. How deep is your substrate? They shouldn't do surface molts.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
MyrtleCrabs

Post by MyrtleCrabs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 pm
You mentioned your crab doing a surface molt. How deep is your substrate? They shouldn't do surface molts.

Oh, no he's not on the surface. He hollowed out an area underneath his log. So he's underground, but in an open pocket, if that makes sense. The sand depth varies by the area in the tank, with the deepest being about 4-5 inches.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:03 pm

MyrtleCrabs wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm
Oh, no he's not on the surface. He hollowed out an area underneath his log. So he's underground, but in an open pocket, if that makes sense. The sand depth varies by the area in the tank, with the deepest being about 4-5 inches.
The entire tank should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab, whichever is deeper. During molting they emit a yummy smell which other crabs find delicious.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
MyrtleCrabs

Post by MyrtleCrabs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:03 pm
The entire tank should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the height of your largest crab, whichever is deeper. During molting they emit a yummy smell which other crabs find delicious.
It started off deeper, but he's constantly rearranging the depths with his tunnels. I need to make the area where his dishes sit more shallow because they will be completely buried by the next day. I had to get a deeper tank to allow for more sand, because the way i originally had it, the sand was so high, he would climb on one log and then climb out of his tank.. even with a lid on it. Stubborn bugger. No worries about him getting eaten tho, he's got the whole place to himself.