Question re:over crowding

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Hungrytree

Question re:over crowding

Post by Hungrytree » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi everyone!
I’m a pretty new crab owner and need some advice. First off the details you need...

29 gallon tank
8 inches of sub - playsand and eco earth about 5:1 ratio sandcastle consistency
MSW and FW pools they can submerge in and get out of
Food from approved Etsy stores - I try to have 2 kinds of animal protein, greensand, leaf litter and worm castings all the time and rotate other fruits and veggies as well.
Temp around 78, humidity around 93
Moss and cork bark hides.

I have 4 purple pinchers in this tank. One small but likes a big shell, two medium (ping pong ball size) and one bigger than they are but not quite tennis ball.

I want to add better water pools and a fan and more climbing options and am working on it.

I’m kind of worried about overcrowding them. I have the option of adding a 12x12 eco terra topper. Would that help give them more space to climb and chill?

I realize most of the space need is for molting room in the substrate. My other option of course is getting a larger tank but I can’t really afford that an the bigger UTH to heat it right now.

Am I doomed? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question re:over crowding

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:57 pm

We are ALL doomed....wanting a bigger tank as soon as we upgrade! LOL!
A topper would definitely give extra climbing and hanging out room.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:17 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:57 pm
We are ALL doomed....wanting a bigger tank as soon as we upgrade! LOL!
A topper would definitely give extra climbing and hanging out room.
I have a 75 gal that I'm going to switch over the 5 (maybe 6?), that are in the 40gb. I really want to hold out for a HUGE tank to combine my 2 tanks. But the guys in the 40 are growing and really need more space. But I'm trying to find a table that will give me room in back of the tank for access. And of course I will have to resist temptation in getting another crab or 2 for the 75. It's crazy.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hungrytree

Post by Hungrytree » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:00 pm

So basically you guys are very sweetly telling me that I am overcrowded but you understand about not having the resources to upgrade right now.
I appreciate that you aren’t shaming me!
I am doing my best for these guys :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:14 pm

I think you'll be okay for quite a while.

Imagine it like this, quarter up your molting space and have one crab in the center of each quadrant - is there still enough space for them to create a molting cave (about double their size) without it coming too close to another section, the walls, or the top of the substrate?

If so, they'll be okay. There is a higher risk of them tripping over each other while molting, which is when the accidents happen, but it's very low.

Keep them well fed, and make sure they have good climbing space to keep them from wanting to dig for fun when there are molters down.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hungrytree

Post by Hungrytree » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:13 am

Thanks to everyone for the response and the support! I’m gonna add the extra climbing space this weekend.