heating

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

heating

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:25 pm

how should I heat my tank? heating pad or light? :crabbigsmile:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: heating

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Many of us prefer a UTH (but it goes on the back or side of the tank, never under). Lamps tend to greatly decrease humidity, but in some climates I think people have had success with them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:50 am

Yep. I use lamps, but would reccomend a UTH. UTH in aus are pretty subpar, so I was better off using a heat emitter.

(But I agree with all of Curlysister, and would only suggest a lamp if you happen to live in an area where you'reunable to source a good UTH!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:52 am

Either way. I know a lot of my research has pointed to a preference of UTH. My current crabitat has a heating light, but I'll be switching to a UTH for the 75g they're upgrading to. I don't like the way lights dry it out so easily, but I also only have a screen on this one which helps that problem. Also switching to glass lid for the upgrade.

It's a lot of trial and error, and personal preference as well. I'll be experimenting with an Ultratherm on the 75 soon, and if that works then I'll be ditching the heating lights.

I'd say experiment with both and do what works best for your crabitat. :)
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!