Buried crab vs. clean tank

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Bcrabby

Buried crab vs. clean tank

Post by Bcrabby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:31 pm

I’m very new to having hermit crabs but I’ve tried very hard to do the right things for them! I recently bought 2 small crabs at Petco and they immediately buried themselves (this was a couple weeks ago) one of them resurfaced (Dale) but he hides a lot too by digging. The other small little guy (Brennen) has not come up at all in about 3 weeks but I need to add sand to my ecoearth! I tried just ecoearth but it’s growing mold that I have to keep scraping off the top and I need to clean the tank! I really do not want to dig him up because I’ve read how bad it is! Please help! I don’t want stuff growing in there because he’s buried!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Buried crab vs. clean tank

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Welcome! Mold doesn't hurt the crabs. Just you if you're allergic. You can add an inch of sand (sandcastle consistancy) every 24hrs. Just don't pat it down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Salt water can help prevent the growth of mold. Having sand mixed in will also help by giving the mold less to feed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Bcrabby

Post by Bcrabby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:21 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 pm
Salt water can help prevent the growth of mold. Having sand mixed in will also help by giving the mold less to feed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really want to add sand with the ecoearth but can’t dig him up! I heard you have to clean the tank/substrate once a month but I see on here that people don’t do that?

Topic author
Bcrabby

Post by Bcrabby » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:43 pm
Welcome! Mold doesn't hurt the crabs. Just you if you're allergic. You can add an inch of sand (sandcastle consistancy) every 24hrs. Just don't pat it down.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better, I’m starting to feel like he will never come out!

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:31 pm

You definitely do not need to clean the tank out once a month. When you have proper substrate, you don't have to change it out at all, just clean up the little bits of food that get dragged around, and maybe the poop. In the 9 years I have had my crabs, I have never changed out all the sub, just added more as I upgraded tanks and as my crabs have grown.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Bcrabby wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:21 pm
I really want to add sand with the ecoearth but can’t dig him up! I heard you have to clean the tank/substrate once a month but I see on here that people don’t do that?
Yeah, I've never done a full substrate change on my crabitat, and I've had this one set up for over a year. I just spot clean the surface.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Rabbit, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!