Digging holes?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Digging holes?

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:17 am

One crab has been digging holes all over for a few days now. I can’t imagine it’s for molting because he just came up a couple weeks ago. He doesn’t stay in these holes either so I’ve no clue what’s going on in his little 🧠 any thoughts 💭? :crabblush:

Thanks!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Motörcrab

Re: Digging holes?

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am

They just like to dig. Our crabs sometimes make the substrate look like the craters on the moon! He may be checking for a good place to molt or digging because he can. I wouldn't be too worried.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:48 am

Some crabs just like to dig and trash the tank. My Sonny has always dug random holes way more than my Cher, especially when he was smaller.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 am

I guess he’s just finally getting comfortable. Sparkys the only one who doesn’t run away when he sees me, the only one I ever see out during the day period. It’s a new thing, he’s never done this before so I figured I would ask. I was concerned only bc my biggest, Kirby, has made himself a nice home under the cork round and idk what it’s for. I picked it up to spot clean and found him looking up at me like umm helloooo! Im trying to stay incognito here! Lol 😂 he put a lot of work to that lil home under there. I haven’t touched the tank since! One of the holes dug is close to kirbys area. They have all of the right parameters to keep em happy besides getting a bigger tank soon but they’re okay for now 👍🏻 I constantly keep an eye out and am soon going to get a camera on them for night spying on my behalf lol thanks for the advice y’all!

DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 am

Crabby in NJ wrote:I guess he’s just finally getting comfortable. Sparkys the only one who doesn’t run away when he sees me, the only one I ever see out during the day period. It’s a new thing, he’s never done this before so I figured I would ask. I was concerned only bc my biggest, Kirby, has made himself a nice home under the cork round and idk what it’s for. I picked it up to spot clean and found him looking up at me like umm helloooo! Im trying to stay incognito here! Lol Image he put a lot of work to that lil home under there. I haven’t touched the tank since! One of the holes dug is close to kirbys area. They have all of the right parameters to keep em happy besides getting a bigger tank soon but they’re okay for now Image I constantly keep an eye out and am soon going to get a camera on them for night spying on my behalf lol thanks for the advice y’all!
That's nice to hear that your crabs have been doing well, and at least one has been warming up to you! Spying in the nighttime would be a good choice, and also they can get their peace and quiet without being disturbed while you're watching them! Also, my crabs have been digging as well! About a week or so ago, one of my crabs Hermes has been digging a lot, and he also digs a lot under his bowl. Eventually, I noticed that the whole from before was gone, and Hermes is nowhere to be found! I assumed that he is molting right now, and I probably won't see him again for another month or so.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:07 pm

:banana: awesome! I surely hope your lil guys molt goes well! My guy continues to do this behavior but now I notice other things as well....I just don’t understand bc he just molted so im at a loss with what’s going on. On the plus side, another came up from whatever he was doing. Was nice to get a glimpse of 3/4 last night! Now if I could only find a good deal on a bigger tank and stand to get these guys more space, I’d be happier than a pig in 💩! Lol :crabbigsmile: