Methane Blue

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
angelbear

Methane Blue

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:05 pm

So in general as Hernit Crabs have gills much like a fish, I often wondered if they might suffer from sone of the same conditions that fish might go through at least with gills in mind.

With fish when you get them, some people reccomend giving them time in a tank with methane blue to help heal burned. and irritated gills due to ammonia if petstore tanks. It is usually a part of a QT procedure.

It is gentle to fish and does not cause them any stress.
Increases oxygen absorption in fish. Fish that have been in high ammonia environments like their shipping bags often have damaged gills. Methylene Blue helps fish increases their ability to absorb oxygen from the water.
Both a bactericide and fungicide. It is often used by fish breeders to prevent fungus infection on eggs.
An anti-protazoan that kills a common parasite, ich (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis).

Absorbed in the body to treat internal infections. Methylene blue is easily absorbed through the fish's gills and skin to help fight internal infections. It also assists the absorption of antibiotics when used used together in a bath.

No build-up of resistance. Since Methylene Blue is not a "drug", the pathogens do not build up a resistance to it.

I also read ob one of the maufactures website that it was safe for shrimp. But I have no experience with the stuff outside of that. I am still doing some looking but wanted sone opinions on my thought process.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Links

Re: Methane Blue

Post by Links » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Great info! Things like this and more raising in captivity would be major game changer in the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Keep in mind, though, that most aquarium shrimp have significantly shorter lifespans than hermit crabs do, so if there are long-term effects they may not be obvious.

Have you tried browsing through shrimp forums? There may be some information there regarding how well shrimp and other crustaceans react to it.

Also, the Crab Street Journal has a page on creating an herbal bath. At the bottom of the page they include acceptable commercial fish medications that include methylene blue. https://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/2012 ... ack-spots/

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Not yet as i said I am still researching. But I wanted to pose the theory and see if anyone knew anything.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
1 e, and 1pp

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:13 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm
Also, the Crab Street Journal has a page on creating an herbal bath. At the bottom of the page they include acceptable commercial fish medications that include methylene blue. https://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/2012 ... ack-spots/
We have used this bath on two hermits. We had one crab that looked like his big pinchers was partially crushed possibly from a fight or molting disturbance. We put him in the bath a few times to help it heal and fight off infection. He made a full recovery after his next molts. His pincher was a little wavy rather than smooth but it worked normal. We haven't seen him for a while.

The other crab was our E that dropped all limbs but one leg after we found him in a flood with a bacterial bloom. We bathed him to help with possible infection. With daily hand feedings he made it about 20 days before passing. I am not sure what his cause of death was. I am thinking from not being able to move well his bowels became impacted. His abdomen was super swollen, he was eating very well until he started climbing out of his shell.

Anyway this Methane Blue could be interesting. Hermits gills are modified compared to fish and shrimp. I wonder if it would have the same effect since crabs breathe air rather water? This stuff could help during the PPS transition. I guess a lot more research needs to be done.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:36 pm

@angelbear Just so you know, it’s “methylene blue”, not “methane blue”. Thought I’d make that clear since everyone’s going back and forth on spelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:55 pm

Once upon a time, tetracycline was thrown around as a possible treatment to PPS. Crabbers in general have a major distrust of medication and chemicals when it comes to their hermits, so it was never well explored.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:00 pm

@JoeHermits
Your right. Spelling never my strong suit. It is something to do more research on. A weekend project for starters. The theory is sound. You are right about the gills being motified. Now that I am off work I can start looking into it a little better. Anything we can do to help these guys is helpful. Someone has to take intrest after all.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:11 pm

I find mixed reults when I comes to shrimp. Some say that it has no effect, some say it killed them. Still looking for something more concrete. I know scientest used it to mark sea anemones for a study with no harm other than a temoroary blue stain that faded after a few days.
1 e, and 1pp

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:13 am

I don't have experience, but just wanted to pop in and say that this is a very interesting theory and great information. The input from others is good too.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 am

I did a bit of looking around, too. Shrimpers claim its toxic. Marine hermit crabs are more closely related than shrimp, so I looked around there and found marine crabbers don't seem to recommend it, either.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Shrimp are now so inbred that a small parameter shift can kill off an entire colony while in the past, wasn't much of an issue. So if it can hold up on shrimp, I think it will likely be fine for our hermies.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Shrimp are now so inbred that a small parameter shift can kill off an entire colony while in the past, wasn't much of an issue. So if it can hold up on shrimp, I think it will likely be fine for our hermies.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The thing is, why the manufacturer if some bottles says itnis safe, I have not been able to find anyone that has actually done it. Ot is usually a 50/50 split. Now the crabstreet journal had an article that reccomended methyane blue and Mealfix as acceptable medication to use. But as far as I know no one has attempted it.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

1 e, and 1pp