Need help with an ID.(Image heavy)

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Fangs

Need help with an ID.(Image heavy)

Post by Fangs » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Hello, I bought 4 hermit crabs at a reptile expo and they were listed as "blueberry hermit crabs". They have a blueish purple coloration but definitely need to molt. I can get better pictures if they are still out in the morning because the lighting right now isnt the best. Thanks for the help!

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Need help with an ID.(Image heavy)

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Fangs wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 pm
Hello, I bought 4 hermit crabs at a reptile expo and they were listed as "blueberry hermit crabs". They have a blueish purple coloration but definitely need to molt. I can get better pictures if they are still out in the morning because the lighting right now isnt the best. Thanks for the help!

Wow! Those are some cool crabs! But if I'd have to guess, going in the order of the pics I'd say they are,
1- possible ruggie
2, 3, 4- possible blueberries
Yes, please make them comfortable in their new home and leave them alone if they're already dug by tomorrow! Glad you could save them, sure they'll be happy now! :)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Fangs

Post by Fangs » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:04 pm

Thank you for your help :D . I'll take good care of them!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

I’m gonna go with possible blueberries for all for my guess- Wow! I’m so jealous- my son and I have been wanting to find some for a long while now. So I have stared at a lot of pics of them lol. Sooooo cool.
Best of luck to you and the new little ones, please keep us posted as they continue to molt/grow/change colors. I’d love to see that!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Beautiful crabbies! I love that little guy with the modified shell perfectly for his eyes! They are beautiful!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:05 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Beautiful crabbies! I love that little guy with the modified shell perfectly for his eyes! They are beautiful!
I didn't even notice the cutout was right where his eyes are lol! Too funny!
Such cuties. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Captive crab ID is done through claws. Can you please share photos of their claws when closed up in their shells?

I think blueberry (C. purpureus) is unlikely only because they aren't known to be exported anymore. C. lila is much more likely, though they too have not really been imported much (if at all) in recent years.

Did the seller make any mention of where they originally came from or how he acquired them?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Fangs

Post by Fangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm currently out right now. I will get pictures as soon as I get home. I only asked him if he knew the species name which he didnt so I doubt he knew where they came from. I forgot to ask where he got them from because the expo was very hectic.

Topic author
Fangs

Post by Fangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm

here are the pics. One didnt want to go in his shell haha.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Fangs wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm
here are the pics. One didnt want to go in his shell haha.

Yep, all of them really need to molt. I'd suggest letting them go, to let them destress as well as molt. Good save, though! :)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Fangs

Post by Fangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Yea I agree. I'm glad I got them because the guy who sold them most likely had no idea of care. I'm excited to have them :D

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Fangs wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm
Yea I agree. I'm glad I got them because the guy who sold them most likely had no idea of care. I'm excited to have them :D
Hopefully I can get some exotics in the future. My 10g is good for PP's and my one E (you don't know how excited I am to have a crab beside a PP), and even when I get a 20g, unless I see another E, a viola, a blue/straw, or rug, I'm just going to stick with helping the PPs. I can't wait until I'm done college so I can get a house and have a whole room solely for hermies!

Topic author
Fangs

Post by Fangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Hopefully I can get some exotics in the future. My 10g is good for PP's and my one E (you don't know how excited I am to have a crab beside a PP), and even when I get a 20g, unless I see another E, a viola, a blue/straw, or rug, I'm just going to stick with helping the PPs. I can't wait until I'm done college so I can get a house and have a whole room solely for hermies!
That's a good plan! I know some places online that have sold straws and E's. If you want I can look around for you.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Fangs wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:26 pm
That's a good plan! I know some places online that have sold straws and E's. If you want I can look around for you.
See, I'm not looking to buy. I just want to rescue, so if I come across some in the future will definitely take them under my wing. But not yet, lol! Thank you for the suggestion though! You could if you wanted, maybe someone else on here would like to buy one. But like I said, I'd rather adopted. Plus, I hate to think some people are vain enough to ship hermies, especially considering it's winter where I am right now.

Topic author
Fangs

Post by Fangs » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Of course I understand adopting is always a great thing to do! And yeah the winter is rough by me too. The website I got straws from was yourfishstore but it is a risk since it seems they might ship directly from the wholesaler. But when I got mine they came in perfectly.