Substrate change needed when molting

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi, so I have some calcisand in my aquarium and after doing some reading I’ve learned that it can build up on their shells like concrete and hurt/ kill them. I want to change the substrate but I have 2 crabs buried. One I believe is in the calci-sand area and the other I am unsure. The one that I think is buried in the calci-sand molted, came up, then reburried, haven’t seen him sense. The one I don’t now the location of did the same thing. Is it smart for me to dig around for them, get them out and fix the substrate or should I just wait for them to come back up. Also, when they resurface, do I take them out and put them in a temporary habitat so they don’t disappear? Thanks :)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Substrate change needed when molting

Post by curlysister » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm

How long have they been down? Are you certain they aren't coming up at night?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Links

Post by Links » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm

That’s what I did. Just take them out and put them in a something you can control temp and humidity. But it also needs to breath. It be best to have decent iso tank. Depending on how long you have them iso they might want water? So maybe offer a cap?

Edit: DONT DIG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:55 am

The one that went down in the sand went down about a week ago and the other, about two. Is it possible that they are molting right after they already did?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 pm

It is possible for crabs to molt back to back. It is usually due to a previous injury such as a deformed, or broken pincher or leg. Crabs can also dig and hide because they want to. It can also be a sign that something may not be quite right with your tank. Low humidity, low or high temperature, not enough places to hide it is sometimes hard to pinpoint for sure. Due to all the possibilities it's hard to say for sure.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:42 pm

Like Motor said, they could be molting again. It's hard to know whether to dig them up or leave them - both have potential dangers.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers