Floaters in the water dish[emoji848]

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Floaters in the water dish[emoji848]

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:47 am

Ok I'll go ahead and confess, I don't change the water in my crabitat every day, and I need to keep up with it better.ImageImage But I always notice that after the water has been in the tank for a little while, these little white things show upImageImage And I have no idea what they are, is it something I should worry about?Image

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles) parakeet

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

PinchersAndShells
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Floaters in the water dish[emoji848]

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am

They look like springtails to me. They’re harmless little bugs that eat mold and other kinds of decaying materials. They float on water. :)
5 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Edd, Momo, Merle, Dottie, & Elvis
3 Captive Bred Babies = Randy, Roxie, Marco
37 + 10 Gallon Crabitats | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:They look like springtails to me. They’re harmless little bugs that eat mold and other kinds of decaying materials. They float on water. :)
Ok thank you!!!Image

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles) parakeet

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:00 pm

The white things are definitely springtails, and they are harmless, but what concerns me a bit is your water dish in general. That appears to be one of the repti-rock dishes that are only 1/4" deep, do you provide water for the crabs where the can completely submerge?

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:44 pm

odelayheehoo wrote:The white things are definitely springtails, and they are harmless, but what concerns me a bit is your water dish in general. That appears to be one of the repti-rock dishes that are only 1/4" deep, do you provide water for the crabs where the can completely submerge?
Yes they have a saltwater pool that they can submerge in.Image And if or when I do a upgrade for them I plan on just going ahead and making a fresh water pool alsoImage