Storing IO?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Storing IO?

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:41 pm

How does everyone store their IO?
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Re: Storing IO?

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:11 pm

Also, it's not bad if you mix the saltwater with a spoon?
Tip I just learned: don't try to add and mix salt into a FULL gallon of water! Haha! :lol:
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Ha ha! Nope! I will add the IO into the container with a funnel first. Then fill about 1/4 with hot water, put the cap on and shake. Then fill the rest of the way with regular temperature water. Add two drops of Prime, recap, and shake!

The hot water helps dissolve the salt more than just normal temperature. I usually let my water sit over night so it gets to room temperature. If using right away check the temperature! You don't want to put too warm of water in for the crabs.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 pm
Ha ha! Nope! I will add the IO into the container with a funnel first. Then fill about 1/4 with hot water, put the cap on and shake. Then fill the rest of the way with regular temperature water. Add two drops of Prime, recap, and shake!

The hot water helps dissolve the salt more than just normal temperature. I usually let my water sit over night so it gets to room temperature. If using right away check the temperature! You don't want to put too warm of water in for the crabs.
Thanks! I forgot to shake it, oops! I'll do it next time I receive some. The amounts of water and salt are probably uneven, so not really 1/2 cup per gallon, but hey. I tried.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm

The boxed stiff has a non-resealable bag that I’ll pin shut with a clothespin and then place inside a gallon zip-lock bag.

I also have a bucket with forty-eight pounds of the stuff. I bought it when my crabs berried and didn’t get to take advantage of it, but it has a really handy airtight lid. I wouldn’t buy the stuff in bulk, though, unless you’re either breeding, an aquarist, or prepared to never buy salt again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Family Hub Refrigerator using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:52 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm
The boxed stiff has a non-resealable bag that I’ll pin shut with a clothespin and then place inside a gallon zip-lock bag.

I also have a bucket with forty-eight pounds of the stuff. I bought it when my crabs berried and didn’t get to take advantage of it, but it has a really handy airtight lid. I wouldn’t buy the stuff in bulk, though, unless you’re either breeding, an aquarist, or prepared to never buy salt again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Family Hub Refrigerator using Tapatalk
I guess I'm option numero tres! I got that plastic bag for 50g, so I should be good for a while, lol :lol: