Tank cycling?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Sundrop10

Tank cycling?

Post by Sundrop10 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:05 am

I’m upgrading my tank this month and would love to add a 2.5 gallon saltwater pool. I’ve read some stuff about cycling here and I was wondering if 1) there are any known benefits 2) if a large and cycled freshwater pool is beneficial and 3) how to cycle

Motörcrab

Re: Tank cycling?

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I added cycled pools last year to my 75 gallon tank. I don't know if there is any clear factual data of benefits of having cycled pools. I noticed an increase in water activity compared to small containers. My opinion is that crabs enjoy cycled pools more since the water doesn't have to be constantly changed and beneficial bacterias are allowed to form. Once my pools cycled I only have to do a 50% water change about every 3-4 weeks depending on activity.

I don't see as much activity in the freshwater pool, but strawberries are more reliant on the saltwater.

To cycle pools you will need to check the levels of the waters. Ammonia, nitrates, and Nitrites. From the crabs using the pools they will get dirty. Ammonia with form. Eventually Nitrates will take over the Ammonia. The Nitrites take over the Nitrates in the water. All three of too high will deter crabs from using the water. I use Tetra Easy Strips and Seachems Ammonia Alerts. AussieDude suggested getting the liquid test kits since they are more precise than the strips. I assumed since I don't have fish or coral living in these I wouldn't need to be a critical with the water levels. Whenever the levels become unsafe you will do a 25-50% water change. Probably about every 5-10 days depending on crab use. Eventually everything will balance out once you get good bacteria to control everything. Having bio stones and filters helps hold the good bacteria. The cycling can take a few weeks or a few months.

Hopefully that helps you.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:12 am

Ive just added a 7.5L salt and a 6L fresh pool that are both cycled. The fresh pool has live plants in it and the salt has a filter which creates water flowing over a rock platform. The crabs have been spending 15 to 30 minutes at a time multiple times a day in the salt pool. A couple of times I've also seen one crab (same one) in the fresh amongst the plants and also hanging by her legs with her shell in the water. They never did this in the smaller pools I had. These were both about 3L but not cycled.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Both above have had great success with cycled pools, employing slightly different methods in order to do so.

Motor hit the nail on tje head regarding cycled, except ammonia is converted into nitirite and then into the final form nitrate. (Nitrate is removed through algae/plants, waterchanges or anaerobic conditions which then releases nitrogen gas.... waterchanges are by far, easy way of reducing nitrate).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies