D.I.Y. Deep Ramp Water Dishes

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
hermilove

Post by hermilove » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:49 pm

I made these water dishes awhile back and haven't made a post, so I figure I would share how I made them with you guys while I have them out to be washed!

They're deep and wide so all my larger crabs can get in, as well as my little guys, and it keeps a lot of sand from getting rinsed down the drain when I clean them. My guys also use them as a toilet and dump all their poop in them. :lol:

The only tool that was used were scissors to cut the mesh and trim the zip ties.

For each dish all I used was a Super Stacker index card box (3x5) I had found mine on sale at Michaels awhile ago.

I also used some craft mesh I got at Walmart. It has about 1/8th inch holes.

And I used the smallest zip ties I had. They fit through the holes in the mesh.

I first took off the lid and handles from the box. I keep them under one of my tank stands as I don't need them for the dish. The handles can be popped off by squeezing them a little bit.

I then cut a piece of mesh that was 21 squares wide (3 1/8 inches) and 52 squares long (7 3/4 inches). I made sure that all the edges were closed squares.

I then lined this strip up on the small side of the box almost even with the bottom edge.

16 squares up I threaded two zip ties on each side through the mesh and the holes on the box where the handles were attached.

I put the zip tie nub so it was on the outside edge and looped from outside square to the 5th square in.

I then cut another piece of mesh 21 squares wide (3 1/8 inches) by 37 squares long (5.5 inches). it was then overlapped with the already attached piece by 20 squares with the piece just cut on top.

I then attached them together with three zip ties. I threaded the zip ties through two squares over on each side of the overlapping edge. I also made sure the nub was on the underside so that they wouldn't catch themselves on in when walking in and out.

It look like this on the top side.

I then pushed the mesh into the box creating a ramp.

Washing the water dish is easy as well. I pull the mesh out and scrub it with a toothbrush on each side and rinse it off, making sure to get at the edges of the zip ties to clean under them. Once the mesh is out of the box wiping out the inside is easy as well.

I cleaned out my Es dishes and made the tutorial with one. I took the pictures at the beginning of the ones in my PP tank.

Pictures of cleaning before and after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by hermilove on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lovely PPs and Little Es

Rebecca C

Re: D.I.Y. Deep Ramp Water Dishes

Post by Rebecca C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:25 pm

That is genius; I love it! Thank you for sharing. :D
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Great tutorial and pics! Great idea! And the mini totes you used are perfect!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermilove

Post by hermilove » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks! I snapped a pic of one of my Es using it :) Image

Lovely PPs and Little Es

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

I was wondering what the size comparison was like! It looks like an endless pool!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
hermilove

Post by hermilove » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:13 am

The water dish is about 3.5 inches tall. It is 3 inches wide by 5 inches long. I took some pictures for size comparison. My E that was in the dish is about the size of the Babylonian in the pictures, the turbo is a little smaller than some of my PPs, and I also have this extremely large turbo that will also fit in the pool.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lovely PPs and Little Es

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:09 pm

That's very cute!

Crabbers unite!!!

Hide2seek

Post by Hide2seek » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:09 am

Thanks! I created a salt water and fresh water pool for my clan of hermits! I'm scared that the littlest ones won't be able to get in and out easily, so I still have a water dish in the tat as well. All of them seem to use the small water dish rather than the pools. Should I remove the water dish? Is there any merit to my worries?

Hide2seek

Post by Hide2seek » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:11 am

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:15 am

I think the little ones are so used to having to deal with a super sized world, that they will be fine either way. I think the choice is up to you.
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Hide2seek

Post by Hide2seek » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks!

Cutepetgroomer

Post by Cutepetgroomer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Lol, I did something similar but right now I'm keeping them for when I go out of town since both my crabs aren't that big

dbavaria

Post by dbavaria » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:55 pm

This is wonderful! I love the ones I have seen with stones and plants and stuff....but they seem like they would be hard to clean. One question....what is the reason for using two connected strips of the plastic craft stuff instead of one?

Topic author
hermilove

Post by hermilove » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:06 pm

dbavaria wrote:One question....what is the reason for using two connected strips of the plastic craft stuff instead of one?
It might work with one, I just thought it might help keep it from popping out. :)
Lovely PPs and Little Es

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:15 pm

I linked this to a good friend of mine. She used black canvas instead of white. It looks cleaner. I will be switching to black when I redo mine. It doesn't show the nasty stuff they drag in as bad as the white. I love this design!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above