Tips for Instant Ocean storage?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
mlakers

Tips for Instant Ocean storage?

Post by mlakers » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:43 pm

My unmixed Instant Ocean is now a solid brick of salt. I resealed the bag and thought I'd be good, but apparently not. I store it under the crabitat in the normal room conditions, so it's not like it's in an extremely humid part of the house.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping Instant Ocean from turning into a salt brick...and for "unbricking" a box that has already solidified? :?

CallaLily

Re: Tips for Instant Ocean storage?

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:50 pm

You could try bagging it up individually, 1/2 cup per baggy. I gave up and just scrape, beat, bang to break it up for measuring. I don't think it causes any harm.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:03 pm

I bag mine individually (1/2C in baggies) and I think it's just normal for it to harden up over time. In small amounts it's easier to break up, at least. I don't think there's a way to keep it from hardening, at least in my experience. I store all mine under the tank as well.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Oh, gosh, that's a great idea. Would make mixing a gallon so much quicker and simpler, too. Doh! Next time I'll divvy it up the first time I open it. Brilliant. Sure wish I'd thought to ask this question about two months ago. :)

NilyahEyakam

Post by NilyahEyakam » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:24 pm

I keep mine in little plastic tupperware containers and the only part that gets a little crusty is a thin top layer, but it breaks apart easily.
and a cheese grater may help to break it apart.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:39 pm

One other thing - I keep a moisture absorber thingie from Dollar Tree (https://m.dollartree.com/h5/r/product/T ... /index.pro) under my tank as well and that helps some, I think. My salt clumps but not rock hard. Also, when I fill a gallon jug I use a funnel to dump the salt in and run hot water over it into the jug to dissolve it easier.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:48 am

megmaholm wrote:One other thing - I keep a moisture absorber thingie from Dollar Tree (https://m.dollartree.com/h5/r/product/T ... /index.pro) under my tank as well and that helps some, I think. My salt clumps but not rock hard. Also, when I fill a gallon jug I use a funnel to dump the salt in and run hot water over it into the jug to dissolve it easier.
GENIUS!
:idea:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

littletechcrab

Post by littletechcrab » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:34 pm

I use the snack size zip baggies and pre measure to make my gallon. It is a tight fight but very little air is in the bag. The air seems to make the salt get rock hard. I then cut the corner off when I need to make a gallon and it pours right into the bottler.

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:06 am

I just keep mine in the box. Sometimes it gets a little hard, but i just chop it up with a plastic spoon before adding it to the water.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:27 am

I bag mine individually and store it in a plastic shoebox. I buy the 50 gal bags and when I did it the last time it looked like i was running a drug ring out of my house. It has been a year and none of it has hardened yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:03 pm

I don't bag mine individuals, but I might start doing so. One thing I do differently though if I mix my salt water in a measuring cup then add to my jug and repeat till all the salt is added to the jug. I made a mess with our with out a funnel before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk