API Stress Coat+

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
the2crabbycrabbers

API Stress Coat+

Post by the2crabbycrabbers » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi! I am new to the forum and I think I posted this in the wrong place, so I am going to post it here again.
Can anyone tell me if API Stress Coat+ is good to use for hermit crabs. I read the post "The Great Stress Coat Experiment" and see that Stress coat is not harmful. I guess I am asking if API is a good brand to use, or are there other brands that are better.
I think the answer to my next question is rather obvious, but I am going to ask anyway. Do I then make saltwater (I will be using Instant Ocean) with the Stress Coat treated water? Or should I make saltwater using just water treated with something to remove chlorine/chloramines, heavy metals and ammonia?

AutumnHermie

Re: API Stress Coat+

Post by AutumnHermie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Iv'e used Stress Coat with no ill effects. Instant ocean is also a dechlorinator , so you can use just plain tap water when making it.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:54 pm

I use API Betta Water Conditioner instead of the Stress Coat variety but either one is fine. As far as I know, Instant Ocean is not a dechlorinator by itself so I use the API Betta in both jugs of water and then add Instant Ocean to one jug.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Crabinski wrote:I use API Betta Water Conditioner instead of the Stress Coat variety but either one is fine. As far as I know, Instant Ocean is not a dechlorinator by itself so I use the API Betta in both jugs of water and then add Instant Ocean to one jug.
This is directly from instant ocean's website.

Q: Does Instant Ocean[REGISTERED SIGN] contain a dechlorinator? Does Instant Ocean[REGISTERED SIGN] contain any ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA) or other types of metal chelators?
A: Instant Ocean[REGISTERED SIGN] has never contained a dechlorinator or any type of chelator. It is advisable to dechlorinate using a commercially available de-chlorinator when using tap water to dissolve Instant Ocean[REGISTERED SIGN].

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Just remember if your tap water uses chloramines, you need a product that removes ammonia as well. There are only a couple out there that do! There's a list of products and what they remove in the water FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92553
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Argh. I thought it did. I've switched over to a new saltwater conditioner which does contain a dechlorinator.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 am

As far as I'm aware, none of the proper marine salts that the hermits need come with a dechlor. It's always a two-step process. What conditioner are you using?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram