Treating water correctly n placement of water bowls

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Re: Treating water correctly n placement of water bowls

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:38 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I put my salt in the water jug first, so that it mixes while the water is being poured in. ;)
Perfect! ImageImage I guess I'll just start using my empty gallon jugs and filling with tap water and conditioning it instead of buying gallons of distilled every week. We are planning on getting a under the sink water system here soon for ourselves anyway after reading tons of reviews Bc we need to quit buying bottle waters n save the dang earth a bit. I [BLACK UNIVERSAL RECYCLING SYMBOL]️ that counts right? ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:50 pm

That's what I do!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:51 pm

I have jugs labeled fresh and salt

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Yea I do have them labeled! GB thank you for all your help as well!!

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Highnmighty217 wrote:Thanks guys for info! I'm using the Instent Ocean and have enough for 20 gallons right now (bought 2 boxes) but was cleaning out under tank and found this bottle of stuff, along with some other non approved items!! Like, water pillows?! What was I thinking....tossed out unneeded.
Making 1/2 gallon at a time with 1/4 cup mix makes more sense to be able to mix without the hassle and use up in plenty of time. Thank you all!

That 20 gal pack will last you a while! I bought one for 10 gallons wayyyy back and I'm still not through with it!

mool

Post by mool » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 pm

When I make salt water, I pour the salt in first add a few inches of hot tap water and stir it really well. I then add the rest of the tap water in cold and keep stirring. When done, I add the conditioner.

The conditioner works instantly so no need to wait. Sometimes I even mix up my salt water without it and then add the conditioner directly to the bowl in the crabitat.

I use a Zen counter top water filter for all my personal water. It's pretty and it takes out a lot of bad stuff through the multiple layers and types of filtration.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:02 pm

My pleasure

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Didn't wanna start a new post for this so hopefully y'all can help.
What's the point in bubblers? Humidity raise? Or does it also help with the cleaning of the pools? My humidity is already way up there so don't need it for that.....

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 pm

Bubblers raise humidity. They also keep the water fresh longer. Without them, you would need to do daily water changes or every other day at most. With them, the water will last longer. Say 5-7 days depending on how dirty water is and how deep the pools are.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Oh awesome!!! Yes definitely worth putting in to cut down on cleaning out as often. What if the humidity gets crazy though?

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 am

The humidity can never be too high for the crabs. The only problem high humidity causes is mold and condensation.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 am

I'm guessing with mold just spray down with saltwater periodically? What bout food goin bad due to high humidity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:35 am

Spraying down with MSW cuts down on mold. Changing out food daily prevents molt on it. You'll learn to adjust the amounts you feed based on how much they eat in one night. Yes for some it's a lot of waste but not worth the mold risk. And fresher food is always better. ;)

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 am

... Mold isn't bad for them just unsitely for us.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 pm

daws409 wrote:Spraying down with MSW cuts down on mold. Changing out food daily prevents molt on it. You'll learn to adjust the amounts you feed based on how much they eat in one night. Yes for some it's a lot of waste but not worth the mold risk. And fresher food is always better. ;)

No...don't spray down with salt water...please!! Salt doesn't evaporate. You can soak things in msw, and then air dry them or bake them. If you spray your tank with msw, it would build up. Don't recommend that. You can spray your tank with fw, if you need to. With the bubblers, it definitely adds humidity, which is great! If you have your heater near the pools, you can get a little "saltwater creep" which is salt water dried on the glass - no big deal really - just wipe it off.

Mold not harmful to the crabs, just to us if we breathe it in, so please don't do that either! ;)