Treating water correctly n placement of water bowls

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

daws409

Re: Treating water correctly n placement of water bowls

Post by daws409 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
daws409 wrote:Spraying down with MSW cuts down on mold. Changing out food daily prevents molt on it. You'll learn to adjust the amounts you feed based on how much they eat in one night. Yes for some it's a lot of waste but not worth the mold risk. And fresher food is always better. ;)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
No...don't spray down with salt water...please!! Salt doesn't evaporate. You can soak things in msw, and then air dry them or bake them. If you spray your tank with msw, it would build up. Don't recommend that. You can spray your tank with fw, if you need to. With the bubblers, it definitely adds humidity, which is great! If you have your heater near the pools, you can get a little "saltwater creep" which is salt water dried on the glass - no big deal really - just wipe it off.

Mold not harmful to the crabs, just to us if we breathe it in, so please don't do that either! ;)
Wow! Must have been half asleep when I wrote about spraying with MSW. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for clarifying!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:51 pm

No worries Us crabbers unite!

By the way, any water needs to be dechlorinated first I should have clarified that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Daws you know I've done plenty of wrong things as a new crabber...I don't need help in that area! Lol kidding!
I believe I have got all the water basics down! Hopefully hubby can get bubblers goin tonight! Thank y'all YET again!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Highnmighty217 wrote:Daws you know I've done plenty of wrong things as a new crabber...I don't need help in that area! Lol Image kidding!
That was funny!!! :hlol:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 pm

When I first put in my cork round (yes, I did soak and bake it) it got a bit of mold on the bottom of it, where it touches the sand. Instead of throwing it out or soaking it again I used diluted vinegar to mist the bottom of it. Mold has a "peak", it hasn't really come back as the vinegar pretty much killed it.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 pm

I was scrolling through forums, and came across that probiotic spray you originally inquired about. Here is the thread:
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 0&t=106886

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:19 am

Thank u GB!!!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 am

Yw!