Water change and trying new organic peanut butter.

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Seems like I'm doing water changes every other day now due to the increase in tank activity, looks like the winter semi-hibernation is over.
The peanut butter I'm testing out is organic contains
no sugar or added sodium and is derived from organically​ grown peanuts.
The brand is called Crazy Richards and cost me eight dollars at the local grocery store.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

CallaLily

Re: Water change and trying new organic peanut butter.

Post by CallaLily » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:15 pm

My guys have been more active recently too. Funny how even though we keep temp/humidity optimal, they still seem to go through a down time through the winter.

I've always like MaraNatha nut butters.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 pm

Yeah it does seem odd that they still know regardless of how optimal we keep their housing conditions.

They stayed in the food dish all throughout the night last night chowing down on the peanut butter, honey and calcium blend I gave them.

They haven't been​ this enthusiastic about food in a few months so it's nice to see they still have healthy appetites.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 am

I've been wondering how is the best way to serve sticky gooey things like peanut butter and honey? So far I have been putting peanut butter in a small plastic lid, about the size of a bottle cap, and just sitting it inside of the regular food bowl. Sometimes this small plastic lid of peanut butter ends up in the substrate though and accumulates debris, which is kinda messy. Do you think it's better that I freeze the peanut butter into ice cubes?

I'm also wondering how long do I leave the peanut butter in the tank before I remove it? I've been leaving it in there for about 2 or 3 days before changing it out. But this is just mainly to avoid a mess in the substrate.

I have to read all food labels anyway because my daughter has so many allergies. So I know that the peanut butter I'm using is safe. Sometimes I also use SunButter, which is a product like peanut butter that is actually made out of sunflower seeds. I try not to use this one so often though because it's a lot more expensive than regular peanut butter.

Thanks,
CrabbyMommy2017
Looking to Re-Home my 8 crabs (55 gal & 10 gal)
Please read my adoption post:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=115198
Our Family Motto For 2017:
Cultivate Happiness and Give Thanks Daily

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:35 am

I feed my crabs in sea shells. I just put a small dab in there. Hermit crabs don't eat that much (unless you have a lot of them ). I put an individual ingredient in each shell. My crabs drag those shells around the tank and eat where they want. I do the same thing with my honey. Occasionally I mix the honey with spirulina. Just an FYI- they do make powdered organic peanut butter.

Edit- I change my food daily- but that's me
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks @GotButterflies

What is spirulina?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:04 pm

CrabbyMommy2017 wrote:Thanks @GotButterflies

What is spirulina?
In a nut shell it is blue green algae that is a natural color agaent. It's also extremely rich in lots of nutrients too!! Protein, iron, B vitamin, antioxidants...it's considered a superfood. Your crabs will love it. BUT....it is VERY messy...so beware! ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Crabber85 wrote:Seems like I'm doing water changes every other day now due to the increase in tank activity, looks like the winter semi-hibernation is over.
The brand is called Crazy Richards and cost me eight dollars at the local grocery store.
This product is not organic - it is natural. Organic is highly regulated. Natural is not. Lots of things are natural. Arsenal is natural. They could add it and it would still be 100% Natural! ;) Just saying....
Difference: https://www.organicfacts.net/organic-pr ... -food.html

CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:39 am

Teach me more of the ways of this spirulina you are using, oh crab master GotButterflies! lol.

Is this a powder? Do you buy it online? If so, can you drop me a link?

Im intrigued :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:48 am

CrabbyMommy2017 wrote:Teach me more of the ways of this spirulina you are using, oh crab master GotButterflies! lol.

Is this a powder? Do you buy it online? If so, can you drop me a link?

Im intrigued :)
I purchased mine at my local health food store. I'll take a picture of it. I'm sure you can purchase it online. I'll be happy to attach a link of it for you when I am on my computer later today. I'm on my phone right now. ImageYes, it is a powder. Whenever I close the bag, I wear a lot of it on my hands (even when I try not to!) the first time I used it, it got all over my carpet because I had no clue! Lol ImageImageImage

CrabbyMommy2017

Post by CrabbyMommy2017 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 am

@GotButterflies

Thanks for the pics. No need to send me a link. I can find it from these pics. It sounds like a good product. I'm going to have to check into that, not just for the crabs, but also for my family.

I also just want to thank you for always replying with helpful advice. You, and some of the other regular Forum members here, have really helped to guide me. I appreciate your responding to my, sometimes long-winded, posts.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:05 pm

CrabbyMommy2017 wrote:@GotButterflies

Thanks for the pics. No need to send me a link. I can find it from these pics. It sounds like a good product. I'm going to have to check into that, not just for the crabs, but also for my family.

I also just want to thank you for always replying with helpful advice. You, and some of the other regular Forum members here, have really helped to guide me. I appreciate your responding to my, sometimes long-winded, posts.
Yw! Anytime! Sorry, forgot about the link ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Circle-Org ... ulina&th=1

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:15 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Crabber85 wrote:Seems like I'm doing water changes every other day now due to the increase in tank activity, looks like the winter semi-hibernation is over.
This product is not organic - it is natural. Organic is highly regulated. Natural is not. Lots of things are natural. Arsenal is natural. They could add it and it would still be 100% Natural! ;) Just saying....
Huh the jar specifically states the product is organic and it cost me almost ten dollars to purchase at the local grocery store.

If the company is false advertising it wouldn't surprise me but it still makes me angry.Image Image Image Image

#Autism Speaks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 am

Crabber85 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
Huh the jar specifically states the product is organic and it cost me almost ten dollars to purchase at the local grocery store.

If the company is false advertising it wouldn't surprise me but it still makes me angry.Image Image Image Image

Companies cannot state that they are organic without having approval that no pesticides or fertilizers are used. It is very hard to get the seal to be an all organic company.

I actually called the company after looking on their website just to confirm, but they are not organic. They tried to give me a crappy line about how organic peanuts don't meet their standard, and then that most organic peanuts come from China, but I knew it wasn't true, so I was able to stop that right there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. A lot of companies try to fool you with that 100% natural stuff.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up much appreciated.

#Autism Speaks.