Instant Ocean not dissolving

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
leah610

Instant Ocean not dissolving

Post by leah610 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi! So I've noticed lately that there's been a small quantity of salt at the bottom of the jug I prepare my water in. I make one gallon at a time. I treat the water first with conditioner, then add the correct amount of salt as stated in the instructions of the instant ocean box (1/2 cup). The majority of the salt dissolves, except what's at the bottom. It's a small pile. It stays there even after stirring so much my arm feels like it's going to fall off. I'm not sure what to make of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Instant Ocean not dissolving

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Hmm. Has your salt gotten moisture in the box? In other words, is your salt hard and not soft? You always want to make sure to keep water and moisture away from your salt. If so, that could be the issue. If not, perhaps try contacting the company and get their input. I prepare mine in the gallon jug as well, and I've never had this issue. I shake the jug in a circle and mine stirs fine. I use prime for water conditioner. Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:31 pm

The salt is still soft. Some small bits have hardened but it isn't too concerning..Maybe those bits are what's not dissolving at the bottom? I keep the salt sealed well and I store it in a cool dry spot, so I'm not sure how moisture got in.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I’ve had that problem, too. Basically if your container isn’t completely air tight, there’s a chance that moisture in the air can get in and cause problems.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 pm

I have had this happen. It happens less if I add the salt to the water rather than the water to the salt. It's usually a very small number of crystals in the bottom, and I just pour carefully and don't put them in the bowls.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 am

Oh wow, interesting. I don't allow the undissolved salt into their pools either, just the water. The crabs seem completely fine, so I guess I shouldn't worry so much. I'll switch to storing my salt in an airtight container too.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 pm

With sodium chloride (table salt), it's well known that it naturally wants to be in an envrionment of 75% humidity, so if it's more than that it absorbs moisture and if it's less it releases it. The salt mixes we buy are a huge mixture of different types of salts which react in the same way when it comes to wanting moisture but at different levels of humidity.

Basically, salt wants to be wet.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Thank you Wode for the insight!!