Refrigeration of water required or not?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
CrabbyMom33

Refrigeration of water required or not?

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:41 pm

I read that the bottled water for the hermies should be refrigerated after it is opened. I've been keeping my salt and regular water in the frig after I open the gallon of distilled water. My concern is the cold temp of the water, both for the crabs and for what it is doing to the tank temp when I'm trying to keep it up since it's been colder. Do you refrigerate your opened water?
Owner of 4 PPs

turboshell23

Post by turboshell23 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:11 am

I don't with my fresh water.. and the salt.. I steal it from my husbands reef tank :roll: and its 83 degrees I think.
~5 E's~ 7 Straws~~ 9 PP's~ In a 75 Gallon tank ~

4 rescue pp in a 39 gallon tall.

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:40 am

I buy 2 jugs of distilled water every couple months then I refill those with tap and dechlor, they sit on a shelf beside the tank and so far I haven't found a problem with it.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

aquav

Post by aquav » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:05 am

So far I have never refrigerated any water and have not had any problems.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

wendyj

Post by wendyj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:02 am

Same here I have never refriged any water. Its cold enough at room temp.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:17 am

I don't refrigerate because my bottles couldn't fit in the fridge, and because I don't think the crabs would enjoy cold water.

wickedannabella

Post by wickedannabella » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I think the ONLY reason to refrigerate water would be personal temperature preference and since I happen to know that my little darlings don't like COLD water, I keep the jugs on a shelf next to the tank...not like the little pools of water wouldn't warm up quickly anyway...but i see no sense in wasting the energy to cool water that is already "cool" by being room temp! :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:22 pm

I have never refrigerated the salt water. I mostly just mix it up as needed now anyway. I use fresh water straight from the tap.