Aquarium Salt and Marine Salt

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
FreakyVegan

Aquarium Salt and Marine Salt

Post by FreakyVegan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Are these two the same thing? I have HBH sea salt. Is that aquarium salt or marine salt?
"THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND IT'S MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED"
GANDHI

Unknown10101

Re: Aquarium Salt and Marine Salt

Post by Unknown10101 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm

No. Aquarium Salt is for creating a brackish environment, which is a mix between marine and fresh, and it is salt, not marine salt. Marine salt makes water into the water you see in the ocean. It makes it marine. I've never heard of HBH sea salt, so I'll have to leave your other question to another member :)
5 PPs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Aquarium salt isn't even good for making brackish - that needs to be mixed using marine salt as well. The only thing aquarium salt is used for is for treating freshwater fish parasites. (And that's a debate in and of itself!)

If you're talking about the HBH hermit crab salt then no, it won't have enough sea-water elements in it to help the crabs long-term. It's also way more expensive then marine mix! Look for brands like Oceanic, Instant Ocean, Kent, or Red Sea in the salt-water fish section. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
FreakyVegan

Post by FreakyVegan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you so much for the explanation. The amount of salt that it takes to mix this stuff means the bottle goes way fast. So the HBH is not the right one for bathing in anyway....I'm off to get the one of the other ones. :)
"THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND IT'S MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED"
GANDHI