Donations

Please Help us out by donating!

Your contribution help pay for hosting and other site maintenance!

Sub Menu
Search

Did i hurt my crab?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues.

If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Moderators: Moderators (Senior), Moderators (Junior), Moderators (Standard)

Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: AHuff » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi! I have 2 crabs. They usually hide under their cave. I was doing some maintenance in the tank yesterday, cleaning etc. I was digging in one area and one had dug to the bottom of the tank. I am new at this and noticed that the sand was not wet at all so I was adding some water (which I just learned I should've used salt water instead of regular dechlorinated water) and mixing it up and trying not to disturb them. as soon as I saw him I hurried and covered him up with at least 3 inches of substrate. I just read in another post that if you mess up their tunnels they would suffocate... what do I do!?!?! I need to also mention, that it has been a few days since I had seen him before digging in the tank. so I really don't know how long he had been down there. I know, I feel so stupid!

AHuff
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: soilentgringa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 pm

AHuff wrote:Hi! I have 2 crabs. They usually hide under their cave. I was doing some maintenance in the tank yesterday, cleaning etc. I was digging in one area and one had dug to the bottom of the tank. I am new at this and noticed that the sand was not wet at all so I was adding some water (which I just learned I should've used salt water instead of regular dechlorinated water) and mixing it up and trying not to disturb them. as soon as I saw him I hurried and covered him up with at least 3 inches of substrate. I just read in another post that if you mess up their tunnels they would suffocate... what do I do!?!?! I need to also mention, that it has been a few days since I had seen him before digging in the tank. so I really don't know how long he had been down there. I know, I feel so stupid!
You don't have to use salt water for their substrate. That's up to the crabber.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
User avatar
soilentgringa
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: AHuff » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Is it true that he will suffocate because I collapsed his tunnel?

AHuff
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: soilentgringa » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

AHuff wrote:Is it true that he will suffocate because I collapsed his tunnel?
If the cave collapsed on it, you will need to dig it up.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
User avatar
soilentgringa
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: GotButterflies » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

I hope that your hermit is okay!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them!
User avatar
GotButterflies
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 5800
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: AHuff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 am

Unfortunately he wasn't... I don't know if he was already dead or if I did it. My other crab has been in his tree for 2 days and hasn't eaten anything. Seems like something is wrong with him too. Not sure what im doing wrong here.

AHuff
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: Hermiesguardian » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 am

AHuff wrote:Unfortunately he wasn't... I don't know if he was already dead or if I did it. My other crab has been in his tree for 2 days and hasn't eaten anything. Seems like something is wrong with him too. Not sure what im doing wrong here.


Sometimes you can do everything right but they still die due to PPS. Post purchase syndrom. They go through such horrors before they get to the stores and many don't recover.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi
User avatar
Hermiesguardian
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: AHuff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:45 am

Once I got them I truly enjoyed taking care of them. I was thinking of purchasing another, but since Gary doesn't seem to be doing well, I think ive changed my mind.

AHuff
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Did i hurt my crab?

PostAuthor: curlysister » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am

If you would like help with your crabitat conditions, please feel free to fill in the 'emergency template'. There might be something that is not optimal, that we could help with.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
User avatar
curlysister
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada


Return to Molting

Who is online

Registered users: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]

cron