Digging

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 pm

curlysister wrote:If you haven't been adding any moisture for a while, and your sand is truly that dry, you should probably gently dig for the crab. Are your temp and humidity correct? You will need to have proper conditions, so that if the crab is alive, you can give it the best chance of survival.
What do I do once I dig .. if I find him and he is alive ?? .. and do I just comb through the sand with my fingers basically .... ??
He been fine for a yr with all I been doing .....I do need a new humidity gauge but it should be fine in there .... ... not positive do need to get a new one

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Temp has been pretty steady at 77 .. I could make it hotter but with heater its get way to hot so .. does go up alil from 77 but stay around there humidity I think ita off it's old..

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Been putting moisture but only on the sides its just west the sides and seeps down. But doesn't sleep inward only a little .... so .. that what every one has been telling me to do but.. I would like to pour water over the whole top of the sand slowly but think it's kinda late for that and no one said to do that so I didnt plus didnt want it to sink in if I did that

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:08 pm

Please do not say that the dry sand has not been addressed. In looking at your thread from the start of March, you were given very good advice. It was suggested to add half a cup of water at a time along the edge, every couple of days. It would have seeped toward the center to all of the sand eventually. It was suggested to mist the tank. It was suggested to use a chop stick or something similar to push along the side of the sand where it meets the sand to monitor for flooding. You were asked what the temp and humidity were and you did not answer or give any further comments on the thread.
In March you said the crab had been down for 6 months, then changed your mind to 4 months. So if it was 4 months at the start of March, this is another 4 months, so you are at minimum 8 months. Possibly more.
I would gently move the sand, kind of sweeping it aside with your fingers as you go through the tank. If the crab is alive, you will need to have a tank with proper conditions, heat and humidity, substrate, fresh and salt water, healing foods, etc.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:07 pm

curlysister wrote:Please do not say that the dry sand has not been addressed. In looking at your thread from the start of March, you were given very good advice. It was suggested to add half a cup of water at a time along the edge, every couple of days. It would have seeped toward the center to all of the sand eventually. It was suggested to mist the tank. It was suggested to use a chop stick or something similar to push along the side of the sand where it meets the sand to monitor for flooding. You were asked what the temp and humidity were and you did not answer or give any further comments on the thread.
In March you said the crab had been down for 6 months, then changed your mind to 4 months. So if it was 4 months at the start of March, this is another 4 months, so you are at minimum 8 months. Possibly more.
I would gently move the sand, kind of sweeping it aside with your fingers as you go through the tank. If the crab is alive, you will need to have a tank with proper conditions, heat and humidity, substrate, fresh and salt water, healing foods, etc.
Look sweety I'm busy... so when I post try to post to the best of my knowledge .. yes I did change my amount of months on the molt cause I wasnt positive...and I found a date on something that I could keep track ... are u serious???? Right now .... I've been putting g water on the side more than 1 cup ... and it hasnt seeped in to the center I'm writting what I'm experiencing I was asking and wondering if there was more or something else I could do and your really coming at me ...almost RELAX

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:09 pm

My crab has been alive a whole yr he has molted 3 or 4 times if that's not exactly correct its cause I'm grown I have a life ..... I take good care of him never had any problems no problems with anything...I ask questions when I have questions that's what this forum is for ....

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:11 pm

And my set up is proper I have proper substrate temp etc etc. Etc THANKS FOR THE CONCERN ......... IDK WHAT THAT WAS ALL ABOUT .... I DIDNT MEAN I WASNT given advice or good advice I was trying to seek more advice because I've been doing things and like I already said it stays on the sides on my set up .... .... idk why I'm still explaining

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Okay, do what you feel is best.
Curly OUT.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:04 am

curlysister wrote:Okay, do what you feel is best.
Curly OUT.
Sorry

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Hey let’s get this thread back on topic please, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cre8tvtpuddle

Post by cre8tvtpuddle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 am

maybe try a diff. mister?
four crabs, two male( crustle and paresect) average size, two female (kabuto and dwebble) bigger size

Kydra

Digging (with a bit of nasty)

Post by Kydra » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:22 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:07 pm
Look sweety I'm busy... so when I post try to post to the best of my knowledge .. yes I did change my amount of months on the molt cause I wasnt positive...and I found a date on something that I could keep track ... are u serious???? Right now .... I've been putting g water on the side more than 1 cup ... and it hasnt seeped in to the center I'm writting what I'm experiencing I was asking and wondering if there was more or something else I could do and your really coming at me ...almost RELAX

Whatever happened to your poor crab?? The "look sweety I'm busy" really irks me. I have been working more hours and rotating shifts in one of the most stressful jobs you'd imagine yet I just survived multiple bacterial blooms along with my current issues thanks to this forum and have been posting updates as best I can for others. You have been receiving advice on your situation.

In the same post you quoted; this was written... "I would gently move the sand, kind of sweeping it aside with your fingers as you go through the tank. If the crab is alive, you will need to have a tank with proper conditions, heat and humidity, substrate, fresh and salt water, healing foods, etc."

You've been getting advice as well as the ability to follow your gut feelings RE your situation. It's now November. Any updates on what you have or have not done so any of us could possibly try to help further? It is the internet. Take the advice you can and follow your instincts

I truly hope this all ended well. And, if so, I hope you have learned to monitor the substrate along with humidity and temperature, etc in the process. Maybe this thread hit a nerve with me as I'm dealing with electrical issues and hoping my one that buried is able to successfully molt after me lifting and moving things including the tank itself with this crab still buried.

Provide an update if you can and you will receive some of the best advice you will get here. Good luck with your crab and I will check back as soon as I can, but will find the time to address any concerns you have that I can help with. Wishing your crab the best! 👍👍

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:33 am

Any posts from this point on that does not pertain to the actual topic at hand will be removed...

(Keep in mind, this topic is a couple of months old and the OP may of already found the answer to their problem)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:25 pm

The crab from this thread died.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:01 pm

..... he didnt die ... maybe .......