Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
HappyHermit0916
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Contact:

Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 pm

My tiny sized crab named piper is a craigslist rescue who seemed super stressed
About 2-3 weeks after rescuing her she buried her self
About a month after buring herself she returned to the surface she switched shells and about 2-4 days she proceeded to bury herself and it has been almost 2 and 1/2 months sense she has buried herself and she is tiny so usually she would have a fairly short Molt
I am SOOOOOO worried that she is not ok
Should I dig her up??
I have bigger tank to upgrade to and am anxious
Please help! I need advice!! :( :|
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4631
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Its not uncommon for smaller crabs to take a slight while before they come up again. So its entirely likely that she is still happily moulting pr just chilling before coming up again.

Is it possible she is coming up when you're asleep?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6994
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 pm

Never dig up crabs.

In my experience, my smaller crabs, especially housed with larger crabs tend to molt continuously. It's almost like they want to catch up to the larger crabs. Sometimes I don't see some of my smaller crabs, and then I'll walk in and see one and it's a nice surprise. If your tank specs are on point, don't worry. Just keep providing food so when your crab comes up it's there. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

Topic author
HappyHermit0916
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:45 pm
Its not uncommon for smaller crabs to take a slight while before they come up again. So its entirely likely that she is still happily moulting pr just chilling before coming up again.

Is it possible she is coming up when you're asleep?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I don't think she is coming up when I am asleep because with my other crabs u could see there tunnels where they surfaced
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

User avatar

Topic author
HappyHermit0916
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 pm
Never dig up crabs.

In my experience, my smaller crabs, especially housed with larger crabs tend to molt continuously. It's almost like they want to catch up to the larger crabs. Sometimes I don't see some of my smaller crabs, and then I'll walk in and see one and it's a nice surprise. If your tank specs are on point, don't worry. Just keep providing food so when your crab comes up it's there. :)
Ok thanks :)
But I just have this awful feeling that something is wrong :(
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6994
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:56 pm

HappyHermit0916 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 am
Ok thanks :)
But I just have this awful feeling that something is wrong :(
Understandable, but even if it is, there isn't going to be anything you can do, and digging up a crab will make it worse.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

Topic author
HappyHermit0916
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:12 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:56 pm
Understandable, but even if it is, there isn't going to be anything you can do, and digging up a crab will make it worse.
Ok thanks :crabbigsmile:
Feeling a little :( :( :( :(
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

User avatar

PinkyNTwinkie33
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:20 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:33 am

I have had small crabs molt back to back. My smallest one when I got him (or her) burrowed down to de stress and then came up, gorged on food and water, and buried down. I didn’t see him for 4 months and when I finally saw him again he was much bigger and freshly molted in the food dish. I have also had a mass molt!

Molting always stresses me out, but I just try to remind myself that they have done this a lot of times and they know what they are doing!

I know that might not ease some of your worry, but I have learned there really are no concrete timelines when it comes to molting.

Good luck!!!
5 PPs -
2 Large: Pinky and Blue
3 Medium/Large: Speedy, Cupid and Tiny

1 Cat: Twinkie
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

User avatar

Topic author
HappyHermit0916
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Location: Some where over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Weird Molt!!!! Please HELP

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:37 am

PinkyNTwinkie33 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:33 am
I have had small crabs molt back to back. My smallest one when I got him (or her) burrowed down to de stress and then came up, gorged on food and water, and buried down. I didn’t see him for 4 months and when I finally saw him again he was much bigger and freshly molted in the food dish. I have also had a mass molt!

Molting always stresses me out, but I just try to remind myself that they have done this a lot of times and they know what they are doing!

I know that might not ease some of your worry, but I have learned there really are no concrete timelines when it comes to molting.

Good luck!!!
thank you!
wow that was a LONG molt!
that makes me feel a little better :crabbigsmile:
I love all animals no mater what!!!
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Thimble the best hamster ever
Love you Lola, Reynie, Piper, Opal, and Jasper

Post Reply