Post-molt behavior

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
HermieCrabs

Post-molt behavior

Post by HermieCrabs » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:53 am

Hi all, I'm curious - how do your crabs act after molting?

My biggest crab just came up after a good long molt and for the first time, she is above ground all by herself (all the others coincidentally are under). Since I know she's the only crab up, I can tell that she is not really interested in eating right now. I am putting out a good range of food - right now she has fresh spinach, greensand, worm castings, shrimp, exo skeleton mix and raisins (her favorite). But the food seems to stay undisturbed.

She looks healthy and whole but she is spending the day sleeping more than she ever did before. It's been maybe ten days since she came up.

Do your crabs act differently right after a long molt? Should I worry about her?

P.S. I should note that the other crabs had moved to our new, bigger tank while she was under. When she came up, we moved her over there as well. Is this maybe new-environment stress? The others seem to like the new tank quite a bit and were eating/swimming/climbing a lot.